Sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triggerhappy88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a very sick fish. It is a clown triggerfish. It's stomach has been very caved in since we got him. He is not eatting well at all. He was covered in what I think was ich for a couple of days. I have tried "prazi-pro" and am just waiting for the results. I have read that it is a good product, but he is still not eatting nor is he moving around much. I have had him now for four days. I have tried several different foods and methods for feeding. We are trying very hard to save him, but as each day continues to pass we get more worried that he may not make it. Would anyone have any other suggestions or has anyone come across a similar situation?

Please help. :fish2:

Sounds like you bought a fish that was in bad condition to begin with. Caved in stomach probably means it hasn't been eating in quite some time. PraziPro is great for internal parasites(worms) but has no affect on ich. Probably not much you can do at this point if you can't get it eating.

Can you get him into a QT(or is he already)...clown triggs are pretty hardy ,tough fish...What exactly have you tried to feed...How big is he...Does he still have a yellow snout(means very small juvi--hard to keep at this stage)...

Thanks all for you comments.

To FTMMWS, yes we have moved him into a QT. No, it doesn't have a yellow snout. We have tried pellets, flake, mysis shrimp and fresh shrimp. We have soaked them all in garlic guard. We have tried to entice him with a grabber containing shrimp. We have also gone to the extreme of trying to net him and feeding him a mixture (flake, pellet and shrimp smushed up) with a pipet. We are really trying but it continues to get worse. Today it has nudged itself to the wave maker and is not moving. Still breathing but doesn't have much strength. Any advice for the next step.

Definitely sounds like a dire situation...
Maybe try some live food ie..hermit crabs,snails and even a pep shrimp ....
Maybe try a scallop and krill tied onto a thread or fishing line and just let it dangle in there...I would not try netting him anymore or even putting your hand in the tank,,thats causing a lot of stress
I sure hope he pulls through for you ,,I love mine, they are my favorite triggers

Thanks again for your submissions, they have been very helpful. Just an update. Unfortunately our clown trigger did not make it. We are very sad.

Back
Top Bottom