Sick Honey Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All

A couple of days ago I obtained a second hand tank with fish which I have moved 30min down the road.

The following morning I noticed that I had lost a tetra and that the Honey was spending its time behind the heater or filter or laying held against the filter by the flow.

This morning I noticed it was on the bottom of the tank only occasionally swimming to the top and then spiraling back to the bottom. It has also lost most of its colour.

It is the only Honey and all the other fish seem fine.

Temp 24ish - dodgy thermometer
PH: approx 7.5
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0

I've tried to attach a picture but don't think it worked.

Any thoughts

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_20130802_080632.jpg
    IMG_20130802_080632.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 81
I wonder if that little bit of ammonia you mentioned spiked too quickly for him to handle. They can be sensitive fish.

My honey gourami died just yesterday. I had mine for about six weeks total, and he went from seeming perfectly healthy, to stressed, to dead within just a couple of days. :(

Did the previous owner changed water before you got the tank? Please test or treat for chlorine/[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]chloramine[/FONT] (use water conditioners), maybe you/owner forgot the treat tap water before you add water to the tank. Did the previous owner use "non-bleach bleach" to clean the tank for you? too much hydrogen peroxide in water can literally oxidize the outer protective layer of the fish and may become toxic (though not quite as toxic as chlorine/[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]chloramine[/FONT]).

I don't think the tank has become toxic due to ammonia or nitrogen waste. at 0.25ppm level fish will first show red or purple gills and swim sporadically back and forth the tank, and will survive for at least a couple days.

If you have Seachem Prime or equivalent, does at 3x the recommended amount for the size of your tank to detox nitrogen waste and remove chlorine/chloramine. Run lots of filter carbon for a couple days to filter out other types of toxins just to be certain (bug sprays, lysol....).

Change 20% of the water daily, SLOWLY (1 gallon per min) refill with treated tap water and don't mess with pH, kH or GH yet.

Back
Top Bottom