Sick Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rattliffc12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About three to four weeks ago my JD had a small spot on his left pectoral fin, it has grown very quickly. I have treated the tank for parasites, am giving mediated food along with regular food soaked in onion, very regular water changes, and I have even given him a 'bath' (small tank filled with multiple airstones for about 30mins. Unfortunately I am seeing no improvement. On the upside he is acting and eating regularly and the pleco in the tank with him is doing just fine. I am just at a lose and wondering if anyone has any further suggestions. Also I have no idea how old he is. Here is the best pic I could get this morning, not great cause from iPhone.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/atta...272767_0_08286192c9e839844253d4433371aa1b.jpg

img_1272767_0_08286192c9e839844253d4433371aa1b.jpg

I am having problems seeing the spot on his fin in the pic. You say it has grown considerably? If I were you, I would not bother with medications. I find the most effective way is to raise the temp in your tank to 86 degrees, and put some aquarium salt in there (1 tbsp per 5 gallons). Give it two weeks and see how things are. If that still doesnt work, give him a salt bath, meaning you out him in a smaller bucket or so, and increase the amount of epsom salt you would usually put. I'm not sure how much salt, a quick google of salt baths for cichlids would give you an answer. But put him in there for about 15 mins. Whatever is on his fin (maybe ich), should not survive the salt bath. It should not survive the raised temp past 84, so give that a try first.

Back
Top Bottom