Sick native fish - please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keepcalm3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I dont know if this is where I post that iam having a problem with my 2 bluegills/sunfish. I think iam going to loose the little one.I have been treating them with rid-ich. Since friday. Iam doing daily water changes.They have whitish gray film on them. The big 4 year old is kinda starting to look a little better. But they do not eat. Are pretty lathargic.The small one is at the bottom hardly moving. I have also added prime. At this point i dont know what else to do. or what to use. Any ideas? Thanks I have a 40gal tank. 2 bluegills,bala shark,placo,albino catfish. Please i need help !

I moved this to a new thread to get you some additional help since the other was an intro thread.

Can you also list your water parameters in the tank?

:confused:I dont know what you mean by perimeter : ( Sorry , being a newbie i dont know what iam doing. Its hard to even navigate on here. lol So where else should i look for advice? Should I put more rid-ich in the tank ? Will this disease go to my other fish.?

Water parameters:

Ammonia (NH4)
Nitrite (NO2)
Nitrate (NO3)
pH
Temperature

What size tank is this?

Can you take any pictures and upload here? That will help determine if it is ich and if you should continue that line of treatment. Personally, I would stop using it - even if it is ich, there are ways to deal with it without meds.

I have a 40 gal tank. Nitrates are 80,- Nitrite 0, Ph -7.5 . i do have a camera but i dont know how to upload. So Sorry ! Oh and thats with test strips and how do i do ammonia?

Hope these are good enough for you to see. Now I noticed on the large one his side gill is like rottening away almost looks like its been chewed:(

Ok didnt work first time but hey I learned how to do something new. Hope you can see it !Thanks (y)

Last edited:
Hello Fort 384 did you check out the pictures ? What should I do ?

Well, tough to tell from the pics - it looks like it could be ich. More likely, it is some type of stress-induced illness. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these fish are too large for a 40 gallon tank, and also incompatible with each other in respect to requirements. Blue gill are native coldwater fish, and require tanks of 150+ gallons (or even larger, ideally) to be successfully raised in captivity, long term. Balas and the plec also need much larger tanks and more space than a 40 can provide, and require tropical temperatures.

My guess is the incompatibility and the tank size are causing stress, flashing, aggression, etc. Rehoming these fish would be about the only thing I could suggest for long term success.

My sons friend gave me this tank with fish. The older bluegill is 4 years old . The other is 2 years old? So what do you suggest that I should put in my tank? What kind of fish ? Should i just take out the blue gills and let them die ? What is it that you recommend ? I really want to make this look nice with healthy fish : )

years and 2 years is a good amount of time, but it is possible as they have grown, the issue is starting to manifest itself. There are folks who have kept the same fish for 15+ years in their tanks, but it is tough to get to that length of time.

I am by no means a blue gill expert - perhaps we can get some other folks to chime in. I am in the unfortunate position of telling you what might be wrong, but not having an easy solution for you.

I do know enough about them to know they need huge tanks, and are best not kept in tropical environments, with tropical fish.

Heya Keepcalm3. One of the best things you can do when the fish are acting off is water changes, 25%-50% water change daily for the next few days and see if they perk up. Could be that something got into the tank, or it could be the nitrate buildup. However it could also be aggression, these fish get large and 2 in that size tank along with tankmates is likely a very stressful situation for them.

You could try rehoming them via craigslist, or possibly a LFS. Maybe someone with a private pond will take them on. Doesn't hurt to call and ask, anyhow.

And finally, these are not bluegil, they look like pumpkinseeds, or something similar, to me. We don't have them in this region so I'm not hands-on familiar, but try googling some photos to see if you have a match.

Best of luck :)

Thanks you jetajockey, I have been told by a fisherman here that came and saw my tank that they are a sunfish. Iam going to take them to a lake i hear they are open and let them go. Dont know if thats the right thing to do? Iam going to redo my tank. My nitates have been in the past week very very high. I have been doing daily water changes and hae been adding prime. I will continue to monitor them. Thanks again !

Releasing into a public water way would not be advisable, since these fish have been kept with non-native fish in your aquarium. The chances of there being any adverse effects are low, but it is still a risk. I believe it is actually not legal, either... I think that is why Jetajockey recommended a private pond for release, rather than a public lake.

That's correct, I'd only give them to a private pond or aquarium at this point.

And yes, a pumpkinseed is a type of sunfish. The sunfish family is similar to the cichlid family, it has dozens of different species. Pumpkinseed or not, that is definitely a type of sunfish.

Ok thanks never thought of that aspect. I will have to wait for the weather to change to find someone with a pond. So sorry ...lol Dont mean to upset anyone on here. Just a girl trying to start a new hobby ! : ) Would not know all these without talking to you all on here : )

Keepcalm, that is not meant as a slight towards you in the slightest - it is on every post that jetajockey makes :).

It basically means, he thinks outside of the box and might have some methods and procedures that differ from the normal line of thinking. I think you might be misinterpreting things.

Back
Top Bottom