Sick Neon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just noticed my biggest neon tetra acting weird. I took a short video amd was hoping someone could help me out. You have to follow the link.

29 gallon tank set up since October of 2014
20 neon tetras, 10 black skirt tetras, 3 otocinclus, ~10 ghost shrimp, and 1 assassin snail.
Params- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 7.5pH, have to check nitrates.
10 gallon wc done Friday along with gravel.
I have had the neons since mid December
Newest addition is the assassin snail but it was in my 10 gallon for 3-4 weeks killing pond snails in there.
It looks like a white cotton growth on the neons left side befor the red starts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After a google search I think it is neon tetra disease. Has the symptoms of bent spine(colors are bent) and white growth on side.

Get it out of there man.. ntd is like the obviously mysterious diagnosis with neons.. it's ntd but it's not ntd until it's definitely ntd.. remove and euthanize and closely monitor the others. I've seen all types of gnarly dispositions with these fish.. some claimed a few victims and some were isolated to patient zero..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks to me like your tank is over stocked. Could be causing this little guy a lot of stress. I would suggest not adding anything more. If anything move some to a different tank so they will be happier.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Infected neon has been removed and euthanized.

I know aqadvisor isn't the final word, but it has my tank at 88% stocked as it stands. I wish I could upgrade my tank but I don't have the money or space to do it...mostly money though

Now I am paranoid about my remaining fish! Hopefully it was just the one neon and now everything is good.

Back
Top Bottom