Sick Platy. Extremely skinny. Advice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I noticed that my sunset platy is sick. His stomach looks inverted and his fin looks clamped. He is also not eating and swims lethargically. I put him in a separate tank and tested water parameters which came out fine. He's pooping more than usual but it is just normal brown poop, not the stringy white kind. My other platies seem fine so I'm not sure what's happening. Here's a couple pictures. Any advice on what's happening?

There's pictures of the sick sunset platy and the normal blue tux platies.

Attachments

• image-595209219.jpg
    image-595209219.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3342826941.jpg
    image-3342826941.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3890706991.jpg
    image-3890706991.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 108
Hi there, without some additional information it is difficult for us to help you. What are your exact parameters, fine does not tell us anything? What size is the tank? How often do you do water changes and when was the last one? Did you add anything new to the tank recently?

Sorry exact parameters:

p.H: 7.8
Ammo: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Temperature: 79F
11 gallon tank, filtered an running for about a year and a half

Last water change: yesterday
Last thing to be added were the other two blue tux platies about 2 months ago which are doing great

Weekly water changes with prime and the sunset platy has been living disease free for about a year now

Today I noticed that my sunset platy is sick. His stomach looks inverted and his fin looks clamped. He is also not eating and swims lethargically. I put him in a separate tank and tested water parameters which came out fine. He's pooping more than usual but it is just normal brown poop, not the stringy white kind. My other platies seem fine so I'm not sure what's happening. Here's a couple pictures. Any advice on what's happening?

There's pictures of the sick sunset platy and the normal blue tux platies.

I don't want to scare you, but it seems there is a possibility your platy may have an internal parasite. I would put it in a QT tank. The lethargy and lack of appetite is basically the parasite eating the fish from the inside out as opposed to ICH which is outside-in. Depending on how far along the parasitic process is survival is questionable so a QT immediately I think is the best bet and possibly getting some type of de-wormer med. See if the QT tank encourages appetite change and try the meds.

Back
Top Bottom