Sick Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a golden apple snail who I think is sick. This snail has always been extremely active and well fed. He was constantly crawling around the tank eating and cleaning and I supplent with algae wafers too.

Today I looked at him and he was just laying there. Also, his body looks bloated like it is too fat to fit in his shell. It also looks like his tentacles are missing, however, I don't know if he is just hiding them or if they are actually gone. He isn't dead because he still responds to touch but when startled can't go all the way in his shell.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Well I guess no one had an idea as to what the problem was, but that's okay. I just wanted to give a little update just in case. The snail died sometime last night. I still have no idea what was wrong with him, but I did get about 5 new snails for the tank and they are all perfectly healthy. If anyone can still think of what could have possibly happened I would love to hear their ideas though.

DO you know specifically what kind of apple snail it was?? Most apple snails are omnivores and require some protein in their diet, and are not satisfied eating just algae and wafers. Try some shrimp pellets, as well as many other different kinds of foods that one would feed an omnivorous fish. :D Hope that helps a bit and good luck with the new snailians!! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom