Sick tank please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was able to find Jungle 5-n-1 Test Strips at Wal-Mart. After testing these are my results.

Nitrate: 10 (safe)
Nitrite: 0 (safe)
Hardness: 150 (hard)
Alkalinity: 180 (ideal)
pH: 7.8 (Alkaline)

I know the pH is high but it has always been super high ever since I started the tank. I was told since the pH is so high in Wyoming that I should just leave it and not correct it because correcting it could stress out my fish if I am always trying to keep it in balance. Also the water out here is and always has been super hard.

LostAquarium said:
I was able to find Jungle 5-n-1 Test Strips at Wal-Mart. After testing these are my results.

Nitrate: 10 (safe)
Nitrite: 0 (safe)
Hardness: 150 (hard)
Alkalinity: 180 (ideal)
pH: 7.8 (Alkaline)

I know the pH is high but it has always been super high ever since I started the tank. I was told since the pH is so high in Wyoming that I should just leave it and not correct it because correcting it could stress out my fish if I am always trying to keep it in balance. Also the water out here is and always has been super hard.

That pH is nothing to worry about, as long as it is stable. Mine is about the same in my freshwater tanks. However, be sure to pick up some liquid tests when you can, those strips are notoriously inaccurate. Assuming they gave good results, your water is fine. If you can, order the kit on amazon or something like that, you can sometimes find it cheaper than you can in stores.

The original tank I used to put the young Gourami in was only a 5 gal. so I went and bought a 10 gal. from Wal-Mart and have moved my older Gourami there. I did this just today because before I thought he was better. The spots on his tail were going away and he was his old self. However yesterday I noticed some light light almost pink spots on his left side as well as the spots on his tail are there again. Part of his tail where the spots are is missing as well. I'm not sure if it is my Tiger Barbs tail nipping (which is why they get the 10 gal. when I'm done with it) or if it is part of whatever my Gourami has. I am going to put in the medicine I had bought previously but I am still concerned that it may hurt him. I was looking around and saw that a certain medicine...that starts with an M, is deadly to Gouramis. I can't find anything saying the medicine I got will harm him but I am still worried. I'm also extremely frustrated that I can't really pin point what the hell is wrong so I can help him. The young Gourami was horrible sick and those red sores covered his face but my old one isn't like that at all so I am sure he has time but time is also a precious thing and I don't want to waste it. Sorry such a long winded comment. Also as a side note I will be investing in a 75 gal. tank for everyone in the 29 gal. minus the Tiger Barbs of course.

It is melafix that can be harmful to gouramis, Bettas, and other fish with a labyrinth organ. They make a less concentrated version called bettafix that is safer to use. Melafix isn't a medicine really, just tea tree oil. It can help fish heal abrasions and torn fins, but it won't cure anything.

It is melafix that can be harmful to gouramis, Bettas, and other fish with a labyrinth organ. They make a less concentrated version called bettafix that is safer to use. Melafix isn't a medicine really, just tea tree oil. It can help fish heal abrasions and torn fins, but it won't cure anything.

Wow. Thank you. That is good to know.:thanks: I have put the medicine in the tank and I'll be watching Mr.G like a hawk to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom