signs of disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veggievettech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I got some great advice on my last problem, so I'm hoping to get some more!
I'm in my 5th week of cycling a new tank with fish. I lost 3 mollies to ammonia toxicity (I was uneducated) and I have one remaining.
My last fish is showing some signs of disease that may not be related to high ammonia. I've been keeping my ammonia level under control with daily water changes. My ammonia readings just before a water change are generally between 0.25 and 0.5 ppm. still no nitritres or nitrates, pH 7.5, temp steady at 76 degrees.
The last Molly has been doing great, but yesterday I noticed a change in his behavior. I noticed him being a little more lethargic than normal. He spends most of his time hanging out in the upper corner of the tank next to the heater. He is not gasping. I have also seen him glancing his body against rocks- it seems mostly his face. Finally, today when I fed him, he went after the food like he normally does but he spits all of the flakes out.
I understand that these are all signs of some kind of problem, but which one? There are no physical abnormalities that I can see- no spots or discoloration. Could this be early ich? If so, I'm not that clear on the treatment. Some say add salt, some say not to add salt. I read that raising the temperature is helpful, but how high should the temp be? and how long should it stay high?
I look forward to hearing what you guys think :D

It may be early ich. Since it is a molly start raising the temps slowly to get it above 87F. You can also add some salt as mollies are quite salt tolerant. Make sure if you raise the temps to add aeration or lower the water level a bit.

White spots that look like grains of salt on fins and body is ich.
Flashing and an appearance of gold dust is velvet.

sorry i don't have much to add, other than it sounds like ich. flashing etc. i've read that raising the temp is good. i think just a few degrees. there's definitely a lot of info about it easily accessible. but it sounds like ich, so just search this forum for ich and read read read.

Ich can occur with no visible signs, it can be inside the gills. Raising the temps will not harm him either way, and if it is ich it may just help.

Ich and velvet is both parasites and can easily treated with heat. The only difference is the life cycle of velvet is effected by light as well as heat. Turning the lights off helps speed up the cycle. My first aquariums were before anyone knew what cycling was and that was when I had all sorts of problems.

thanks everyone. I increased the temperature and added some extra aquarium salt. It's only been a day and he already seems better. We'll see how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom