Silk Leaf Litter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would it be safe to use silk leaves in an aquarium? I'm trying to figure out an easy way to make leaf litter for aSouth American Blackwater Biotope, but IAL are expensive, hard to find in bulk, and don't last long enough. I've got a 55g that I'm hoping to cover in leaf litter.

Would it be safe to use silk leaves in an aquarium? I'm trying to figure out an easy way to make leaf litter for aSouth American Blackwater Biotope, but IAL are expensive, hard to find in bulk, and don't last long enough. I've got a 55g that I'm hoping to cover in leaf litter.
Hello, silk plants are aquarium safe. A number of people use silk for Betta fish so they don't rip fins on plastic. You can sometimes find in hobby & craft shops. Be careful not to buy the ones w/wire in them. Heads up as with anything not from a pet shop make sure you test plants in bucket of water to make sure its color fast.
As for indain almond leaves for tannins have you considered alder cones. I've seen that shrimp breeders use them cause they are less expensive w/same properties & can be left in tank.
I personally don't have any black water tanks but have looked into it. Hopefully this helps!!!!!
Screenshot_20220423-184349.jpgScreenshot_20220423-184444.jpgScreenshot_20220423-184551.jpg

Thank you! If I do use alder cones, they'd have to be in the filter. I want the tank to look natural.

I've been buying Indian almond leaves on ebay (I click Free Shipping, also US Only so they arrive fairly soon) and finding sellers with packs of 35-40 for $7-10. Some have huge 9-12" leaves, way too big for what I'm trying to do so I break them up. Don't know what your budget is, but maybe mixing different materials would give the look you want without breaking the bank?

Thank you! If I do use alder cones, they'd have to be in the filter. I want the tank to look natural.
If leaf litter is something you are looking for there are a few trees that may be local to you & aquarium safe.
Walnut leaves are said to be beneficial w/anti bacterial, antifungal & seemingly positive effects on the immune system of fish.
Maple, birch & chestnut leaves can also be used but there are no special properties to these that I know of.

If leaf litter is something you are looking for there are a few trees that may be local to you & aquarium safe.
Walnut leaves are said to be beneficial w/anti bacterial, antifungal & seemingly positive effects on the immune system of fish.
Maple, birch & chestnut leaves can also be used but there are no special properties to these that I know of.

I can't get any local leaves. It's the wrong time of year, I'd have to find somewhere in the woods to collect them, and only oak leaves last long enough. That's not counting the shape... The last time I filled a trash bag with leaves, the bag and all of it's contents disappeared.

I hate walnut trees. They make a mess, are a hazard, and the walnuts themselves are nasty.

Back
Top Bottom