Silly question - but just clarifying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be setting up what I thought was just a FOWLR, but I also plan on having a few inverts. I am assuming that even with the inverts, the tank is still considered a FOWLR and not a reef, because I am not interested in corals.

I started up my water today for a 10 gallon (yipee!) after several weeks of reading and research trips to LFS. From here I have a several month plan to get comfortable with SW water changes and water management (I have done FW for a few years already), get live rock, get one green emerald crab, one black ocellaris clown, one pom pom crab, one porcelain crab, and lastly a cleaner shrimp. My LFS is telling me I could get many more inverts, or more than one of the ones I have chosen, but I am not interested in loading the tank with inverts. I want just a few that I think are cool to go with my one fish that I have wanted to have for quite a while now. I plan on doing very good tank maintenance (10% a week) so don't think I need an aggressive clean up crew. If this all goes well I may upgrade to a larger tank next year. Or, since I am a newbie to salt water I could spend the next year making newbie mistakes and learning how to do things better before I get brave and go bigger.

So the question is...? More inverts?

Inverts are slot more fun than you may think especially in a small system where you can see them more often.

My 10g is a reef but I have:
Skunk cleaner
2 scarlet hermits
Peppermint shrimp
Cerith snail

With room for more.

Caleb

I am liking the invert idea, surprisingly. Once I realized I didn't have to get hermits and snails that I am not excited about, I started looking for the stuff I think is really cool and can't wait to get them.

But do inverts make the tank a reef? I don't think so because I won't have any of the other reefy stuff, but after reading some more I am not so sure. More than a FOWLR but less than a reef. What am I?

I am liking the invert idea, surprisingly. Once I realized I didn't have to get hermits and snails that I am not excited about, I started looking for the stuff I think is really cool and can't wait to get them.

But do inverts make the tank a reef? I don't think so because I won't have any of the other reefy stuff, but after reading some more I am not so sure. More than a FOWLR but less than a reef. What am I?

I would still call it a FOWLR. No corals= not a reef.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom