Silver Dollar looks Hazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcedAngelKiss

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Silver Dollar has a Hazy look to it, Sunday it had Ich, I did a treatment, and the Ich is gone, but now he has a Hazey look and eyes have it too.
Another problem I have is I've lost 4 fish just today!
I am thinking it has to do with the pet store I bought them from, I haven't had any luck keeping the fish I've bought from there.
I've lost 3 tiger fish, and a shark fish today...
I did a test strip and my levels are all in check, I did a water change yesterday, after the ich treatment was finished...
I have a 26 gallon tall bowed aquarium, with 2 silver dollars, 2 angel fish, 1 tiger fish, and a peacock eel remaining.
Any suggestions?!?!

We really need to look at water quality issues. Did you cycle this tank before adding fish? Strips are notoriously inaccurate, you really should invest in API fw master test kit before adding anymore fish. What are the readings your getting from your strips for amm/nitrites/nitrates/ph? How much water (%) are you changing with each water change & how often are you doing them? Are you adding a water conditioner/dechlorinater (for the size of your tank, not just amount your changing)? We will be better able to help you with some more information!

I had the tank set up for 2 weeks before I added fish, I do a 20-30% water change once a week (although I'm going to cut down to every other week since it sounds like I was given the wrong information) I put water conditioner in my gallon jugs and let the jugs sit a week.
I'm using test strips (but looking into API test kit) My levels are:
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Hardness - 150 - Hard
Chlorine - 0
Alkalinity - 80 - Moderate
pH - 7.2
I added a vitamin block yesterday, and have purchased aquarium salt, but wanted to wait on adding any until I know my fish are going to make it.
Thank you for your help!

I dont believe your tank is cycled yet. Most importantly, what are your readings for ammonia? I suspect the cloudy eyes and fish deaths are coming from high levels of ammonia (VERY VERY toxic). Until you are able to test accurately for ammonia levels (and nitrite/nitrate), i would start doing 50% pwcs DAILY (water condit + temp match). Please read up on 'fish-in cycling'. Healthy water (0 amm, 0 nitrites, <20ppm nitrates) will not only prevent your fish from dying but it will cure your angels cloudy eyes. And PLEASE keep asking questions because we are here to help!!!!

<--Stupid Newbie ...lol...Thank You! Unfortunately I took advice from a Pet Supplies Plus worker who apparently didn't know what he was talking about, he said put the gravel, decor, filter, conditioner, water, in for a week or two, then you can add fish...After reading a lot of the forums on here it looks like I put my fish into a death trap...I hope they can survive it, but it doesn't look like it...
As far as the cycling process goes, it sounds like I'm going to lose the rest of my fish...is there any way to save them?

Its OK! All of my fish would have died too when i 1st started if i had listened to the 'great' advice the petstore people! The first step is to get yourself an API fw master test kit and start checking your water daily. The second thing is WATER CHANGES. Lots and lots and lots of water changes! This is what is going to save your fish (and heal them). This is going to be alot of work but it is vital for your fish's health and well being. Right now, change 50-75% of your water (temp match + water condit for your entire tank). Go find the API freshwater test kit (most big chain stores carry them) and check your water. Ammonia & nitrites should be zero. If they are above zero, do another big water change (temp match + water condit every time you do this). Check your water again. If they are still above zero, do another water change. Check your water again (and possibly do another water change). You will have to do this daily until your tank cycles to save your fish. What are you using for water conditioner? Prime or Amquel Plus are good choices because they help to detoxify some of the amm/nitrites/nitrates plus chlorine. We will help you through this!!!

And read up on 'fish in cycling'! Theres TONS of great information and advice (look under the 'FW - Getting Started' forum)!!!

Its OK! All of my fish would have died too when i 1st started if i had listened to the 'great' advice the petstore people! The first step is to get yourself an API fw master test kit and start checking your water daily. The second thing is WATER CHANGES. Lots and lots and lots of water changes! This is what is going to save your fish (and heal them). This is going to be alot of work but it is vital for your fish's health and well being. Right now, change 50-75% of your water (temp match + water condit for your entire tank). Go find the API freshwater test kit (most big chain stores carry them) and check your water. Ammonia & nitrites should be zero. If they are above zero, do another big water change (temp match + water condit every time you do this). Check your water again. If they are still above zero, do another water change. Check your water again (and possibly do another water change). You will have to do this daily until your tank cycles to save your fish. What are you using for water conditioner? Prime or Amquel Plus are good choices because they help to detoxify some of the amm/nitrites/nitrates plus chlorine. We will help you through this!!!

OKie Dokie, I just did a 50% water change while vacuuming the gravel, I got a lot of food particles up, so I'm going to go ahead and assume I am over feeding the fish.... I'll add that the particles look like they have a white fuzz on them, I'm going to assume this is a fungus, and I've removed most of it...Hoping with tomorrows water change I can get the rest.
Now I'm gonna head to town and see about that API test kit!

Well...I took a sample of my water to a pet store and had them test it...my amonia is through the roof! they gave me bio boost to help... my fish are all breathing rapidly and swimming cock eyed or bouncing off the gravel and walls...I'm pretty sure they are dying...I can't see how my peacock eel is doing since he has been spending most of his time under the gravel (still alive though...i checked) I'm thinking of taking them out of the tank and putting them in buckets...is this a good idea?!? To me it feels like they have little chance of living either way...

Do water changes. Read the link I supplied you earlier. You need to get the ammonia down. Don't add anything other than a good water dechlor like Prime. Adding other stuff will only make matters worse. If you can, add some air stones to get extra oxygen into the water.

The ammonia is burning their gills.

Water change now!

Well...I took a sample of my water to a pet store and had them test it...my amonia is through the roof! they gave me bio boost to help... my fish are all breathing rapidly and swimming cock eyed or bouncing off the gravel and walls...I'm pretty sure they are dying...I can't see how my peacock eel is doing since he has been spending most of his time under the gravel (still alive though...i checked) I'm thinking of taking them out of the tank and putting them in buckets...is this a good idea?!? To me it feels like they have little chance of living either way...
Please dont give up on your fish! They will survive (and eventually recover) but your going to have to do LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of water changes!!!! Big water changes!!!! As stressful as they are for your fish, it is WAY more stressful (and lethal) for them to be living in a toxic environment. Do this right now-atleast 75%!!!! Make sure you temp match and add water conditioner for your entire tank. Did you get to pickup a fw test kit (API)? That will really help you to see what exactly is going on with your tank! Please dont give up!!!

I just finished with a 50% - 75% water change and added water conditioner (not sure what you mean by temp match), my ammonia levels are now between 1 and 3. I moved the fish to separate tanks with conditioned water and their breathing is much better, and they're swimming normal again!
I am going to do another water change tomorrow and if the levels are better I'll add them back in.
I didn't get an API kit, because the manager of the store said the strips I've been using are same.

IcedAngelKiss said:
I just finished with a 50% - 75% water change and added water conditioner (not sure what you mean by temp match), my ammonia levels are now between 1 and 3. I moved the fish to separate tanks with conditioned water and their breathing is much better, and they're swimming normal again!
I am going to do another water change tomorrow and if the levels are better I'll add them back in.
I didn't get an API kit, because the manager of the store said the strips I've been using are same.
People in this thread would not have recommended the API kit it it wasn't better. The strips are very inaccurate. Your LFS is clueless, or just wants to sell more strips.
You need to read the threads linked above, thoroughly!

Temperature match is pretty simple! You want to match the temp of the tank water to the temp of the new water your adding when you do water changes. If you have a themometer, great, but necessary! It doesnt have to be exact-just feel the temp of the tank water with your hand(i put some in a bucket) & match the faucet temp the best you can. A sudden (drastic) temp swing can be fatal to fish so its worth doing! Note-if your fish are not in your tank (the one we are talking about with amm issues), you might as well do a 100% water change to get the ammonia level down to near zero before you add your fish back in. Then you will have to check your water daily (amm/nitrite/nitrate) and do daily (possibly twice daily) water changes to keep it healthy for your fish until its cycled. Hope this helps!

I did the water temp, that came by common sense lol...as for the API kit, I will get one as soon as I can, I don't get into a city that often.
how long do you think the fish will be ok in their buckets? I have the 2 silver dollars in a 1/2 gallon, an angel fish and tiger in another, and the eel in his own.

Honestly? They will not be ok in there for long. They dont have filters or aeration and their water will become toxic very quickly because its such a small amount. The best thing would be to change out 100% of their tank since they are not in there and get them back in (yes, again, temp match & water condit). Then you will have to be religious about checking their water and doing water changes. The API test kit is really worthwhile to invest in. You are able to do hundreds of tests (vs 25 in bottle of strips) and they are very accurate. You will be able to detect the smallest % of ammonia/nitrite/nitrates from 0.25% on up-with the strips you can only get general idea (1 to 3-all very toxic). Hope this helps!

I did a 100% water change this morning, the levels read:
ammonia - .5-1
Nitrate - 0-20
Nitrite - 0
Hardness - 150
Chlorine - 0
Alkalinity - 40-80
pH - 6.8-7.2
Added water conditioner. Thinking about adding the fish back in later this morning after doing another test.

Back
Top Bottom