Sinking veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i've tried 3 clips from petco designed to hold veggies under but they all break... what other ideas or suggestions do people have?

i've thought about buying a few stainless steel washers, tying a string to one side and tying the veggies to the other so it would sink but i could also retrieve the washers afterward without issue.

would this idea work? i would go with the stainless steel because to the best of my knowledge they don't rust

I've only tried my fish with peas and cucmber so far. The peas sink anyway once they're cooked and the cucumber I put the corner of it under an ornament to hold it down. Nothing fancy hehe but it works :) out of curiousity what other vegetables do you feed? I'm looking for more ideas

I feed cucumbers, zucchini, peas, spinach on occasion and I tried salad... it worked ok but not sure if id do it again... yes peas sink but nothing else listed does... thats why I was thinking of using a weight of some type... I would stick it under decor but ive buried everything in the tank lol

Haha ahh yeah I see your problem. I microwave mine. Not sure why but I read you can do it that way. Hope you find something that works!

I just jab a fork through a cucumber and it floats to the bottom and just leave it there for a day

I'd be careful introducing washers to the tank. They're typically coated in petroleum based oil and it might leach into the food/water. I wouldn't use any metals that aren't intended for food preparation or service.

Maybe just tie it to some cheesecloth wrapped around some substrate and sink that in?

I recommended cheesecloth because it's generally sturdier and would give you more uses than the medical gauze.

How do you feed cucumber? Do you have to do anything to it before putting in the tank or do you just put a slice in?

In a bigger grocery store, it should be near the foil, cling wrap, and whatnot. If not there, Sur la Table (Pentagon Row ;) ) would have it. Might as well get some food grade twine while you're at it.

Grew up in Dale City, VA

Live in Portland, OR

:lol:

Northern Virginia is more of a cichlid tank, and I'm a crusty bottom-dweller needing a community environment.

I blanch the veggies before I put them in my tank. They float but other than that I don't know how. :(

Back
Top Bottom