Sixline Wrasse - Pseudocheilinus Hexataenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys,
Since there hasn't been a new profile for a while I thought I would do one. I'll try and do them regularly from now on, once a month or so. Post on my profile suggestions or Corals/Fish/Inverts you would like to see done. Without further ado:

As the name suggests the Sixline Wrasse is easily identified by 6 yellow stripes running parallel to eachother from head to tail on each side of it's body. This fish seen regularly seen in stores, and being a hardy and striking fish, it has become a regular in most home aquaria. Added to it's beauty is it's usefulness. The Sixline Wrasse spends it's days combing the rocks of the tank searching for things such as coepods, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, bristle worms, flatworms and, a clam enemy, pyramidellid snails.

The Sixline Wrasse can be very aggresive towards other Wrasses, so a large tank is needed for multiples of this fish, and even then they should be released together. They can also be aggresive to more docile fish.
(I should point out here though that I personally believe this is dependant on the personality of the fish as my Sixline leaves my Chromis, a very docile fish, alone after a little bit of aggresiveness at introduction.)

These fish sleep in a mucus cocoon every night. They can also bury themselves for the night. The cocoon doesn't appear to have an effect on water quality.

Sixline Wrasses shouldn't be kept in aquariums less than 20G. Having pleanty of live rock is a must as this fish grazes all day. Provide plenty of hiding spaces as this fish can be timid when first introduced in the aquarium.

Sixline Wrasses should be fed a mixture of meaty foods such as mysis and enriched brine in combination with some nutritous flake or pellet food.

These fish are reef safe.

Ideal conditions for a Sixline Wrasse:
pH 8.1-8.4
Salinity 1.020-1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <20

How that helps anyone contemplating a Sixline! They are a fantastic fish. I love mine. :)

Good thread. I was gonna get one, but I didn't want it competi g with my green mandarin. And I heard they are real bullies

I wanted to get one as well. But I think I have too many fish to house him. I have a 112gallong with 2 sets of clown fish, one orange one black, i have a solar wrasse (nice fish), royal gamma, convict tang, one anthea, not sure how it would go.

I just got a sixline yesterday and I have to admit I think it's already my favorite. It's been really active and has a bulging stomach from foraging among the rocks all day long. Plus it just looks so awesome. It stole my chromis' hiding spot but other than a few advances its been very peaceful.

My six line also has a slight attitude problem towards my clownfish. They get along for the most part though. Great fish despite this!

redsea said:
My six line also has a slight attitude problem towards my clownfish. They get along for the most part though. Great fish despite this!

I got mine young together and they all get along very well! So fun seeing this fish swim around the rock, picking at things, and tucking in at night in some hiding place he found.

I would love to have another one. Found my last one on the floor. These fish jump.

I have a 6line in qt right now. Only 2 more weeks until i can add it to my dt! They are fun to watch. Its weird how they sleep in that cacoon. Every morning i turn the light on andits at the bottom in its mucus!

I added a six line to my tank Sunday and today I can't find him. Is this normal? He was in a cave yesterday but today is MIA. I only have 2 black clowns and they didn't seem to notice him.

TmeLrd11 said:
I added a six line to my tank Sunday and today I can't find him. Is this normal? He was in a cave yesterday but today is MIA. I only have 2 black clowns and they didn't seem to notice him.

Very, they hide for the first few days, under the sand likely if you can't find him.

After remodeling my tank, I didn't see mine for two days.

I mentioned my concern about aggression in wrasses to the salt water guy at my local fish store and he said he has six in one of his reef tanks any they are fine, I still don't think I'll risk it but I thought it was interesting.

I've had one for allmost 2 years and he doesn't bother anything. Just swims around And eats. No aggression what so ever.

WickedXb said:
I've had one for allmost 2 years and he doesn't bother anything. Just swims around And eats. No aggression what so ever.

X2
I've had mine for 8 or so months, and he ain't bothered anyone in the tank. He's always on the go. Only thing he does is every once in a blue moon he'll dart out and head butt my clownfish then back into the rocks he goes. Almost like a game for him an the clown cuz the clown does the same to him every so often. No damage done tho

Six line wrasse are pretty & fun to watch. I had mine for 6 mths until he decided to jump out! Sadly I found him dead! Would like another but I have opening in the top back for tubing & knowing they are jumpers I don't wanna risk losing another!!

I added mine last week. It is tiny but really moves through the rock work like a rocket.
I guess it's grazing all day because it hasn't eaten any pellets that I feed my other fish.
Picked up some mysis and rotifer today. I will try the mysis tomorrow...rotifer for the corals
It gets into places I didn't know even existed. Lots of fun to watch!!!

My six line eats mysis and clams. He was very picky at first but got used to what I put in there. Going in 2 years and still happy.

Mine went crazy for brine shrimp, he always got fat. And he kept my pod population down pretty good too. I guess that's why they are referred to as a fat wrasse;)

Back
Top Bottom