Skimmer Question! Need Help Asap!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I bought a "new" never used reef octopus nwb110 skimmer and I wanted to try it out before I set my sump up for it and it doesnt work.

Well I filled up a tub with freshwater in my backyard and plugged it in, well it does work but doesnt make heavy foam, is it because im using purely freshwater? Should I try a tub full of saltwater instead? I need help guys I need my tank up and running by the weekend and tomorrows my deadline to start siliconing my sump! Thanks in advance guys!

No it will not work properly in FW, I would not expect it to do much in freshly mixed saltwater either, if however you were to do a water change on an existing tank the drained off water would provide an excellent test batch

No it will not work properly in FW, I would not expect it to do much in freshly mixed saltwater either, if however you were to do a water change on an existing tank the drained off water would provide an excellent test batch

Awesome recommendation, thanks bud! Ill be doing a water change soon as well.

Did you get a chance to run your test yet? If so how'd it go?

the used slatwater was a great idea, it make a bunch of bubble but i couldnt get it to produce skimmate within about 4hrs so i bought a bubble magus curve 5 and it fit perfectly in my sump and is working flawless.

Reef octopus and probably all skimmers need time to break in.

Protein skimmers doesn't work for the first week. They need time to dissolve factory oils...

well that i didnt know guys, he had mentioned to me a break in period but i didnt know it was a week long, but i have my bubble magus now and its working great so far.

Yeah, break-in period take usually between 4-10 days. You know break in is finished when it start to foam the gunk. Took 4 days for my SWC HOB 50-90g.

Back
Top Bottom