Skimmer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pl. see the image of the skimmer attached. As you can see the water is being pushed uptto the 2/3rd height of the tower. Is this how it should be? What is the optimal setting? How much high the water should be pumped up?

Attachments

• img_2767_3_167.jpg
    img_2767_3_167.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 218
It looks like there is no air being injected into the skimmer on that pic and the water line is way too high. The water should be about even with the bottom of the collection cup.
If you leave it like it is and inject air, it will overflow the collection cup in a few mins. If you are injecting air in that pic, you have no where near enough air going into the skimmer.

btw...what brand skimmer is that?

I raised the water to the top of the cup and lowered it down to the bottom. It doesnt seem to be collecting dirt anymore. How do I check if the air is being injected? Should I take it apart, clean it and put it back again?

It is WON brothers Clean-up 75 venturi driven skimmer. My lfs guy strongly recommended this.
It is about four months old and at least until a month ago, it was collecting lots of dirt.

That water just looks to clear. It should be almost a milky color with all the air mixed in with the water. My guess is the venturi is clogged and not letting in air. Take it apart and clean it.

I took it apart, cleaned everything and put it back. I also reduced the water level to the bottom of the cup. I see the bubbles floating in the cylinder. It also produces a foam on top. However it does not seem to be collecting dirt. There is a brown sediment that forms on substrate. Does this indicate that the skimmer not working?

Any ideas why the skimmer should be not collecting dirt?

I'd check your return lines. Are they buried into the sump? I have that problem on my skimmer if the end of the return is not like "above" the water line it forces the water up higher.

The BUBBLES are a big part of the collection problem. You should have some sort of adjustment or air tube to change that flow.

This is the second one of these I've seen with a similar problem. (All of them have this same problem getting setup the first time, just a similar model)

Good news is that once you get it tweaked it's pretty self powered.

Meanwhile here is WONBrothers link:
http://www.wonbrothers.com/product/skimmer/clean200.htm

Check your (2) Air Tubing. Is it clean and allowing air into the (11) Foam Chamber? Running hot hot water thru this (Not attached) helps elminate salt build up. Back to ccapt comment about the venturi. (Sometimes it's a tool scrap to clear the salt - toothpick)

Water level really should be any higher than your (3) connector. The FOAM you should see should be massive (Millions) of bubbles in the foam chamber and then just pure foam bubbles in the (1) collection cup funnel.

One last thing. The PUMP? What are you using?

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom