Skip the Cycle Process?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gal with about 60-70 lbs live rock, a cucumber, a few snails & crabs, 3 clowns, watchman goby, yellow tang, flame angel, mandarinfish and a grouper along with a clam, some corals, polyps etc... I am upgrading to a 210 gal. I will be moving the filter (a fluval fx5) from the 50 gal over to the 210 and have added a new filter too. My question is can I move everything over without cycling the new tank/filter first. If I move the mature filter over and then add the rocks first, will I be able to add my fish, inverts and corals over the next day without going through a cycle?

Yes if you move everything over but the substrate it will be better. I really dont know if you`ll have enough nitrifying bacteria on 60 -70 lbs of LR to completely skip the cycle but it really wont be that bad. Some more already cured LR will do the job anyway. Do you have a LFS with some LR already cured LR. And BTW I`m not a big fan of carring the substrate over. That will cause a spike if anythging does. I just got new sand when I upgraded mine. Good luck on the upgrade.

I also just went from 75 to 150....new sand....moved LR over and then everything else over the next few days and no cycle.....It was a beautiful thing....I have been adding more cured LR as I have been getting it...I did use some water from old tank....prbably 50% of the 75 gallon tank....then did pwc 3 time a week for 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom