Sleeping Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the last two days, when I've approached our goldfish tank, Geoffery, our common goldfish, has been found squeezed between the side of the tanks and the plants near the bottom of the tank absolutely motionless. Both times I've seen him like this, I've wondered if he were dead (he didn't even seem to be breathing).
Now normally, when he wants to get away from the lights, he hangs out inside the artificial log to hide.

Is this normal behavior, or should I be worried?

The only changes (other than him growing like a weed) is that about a week ago, I introducted some MTS (snails) as well as an extra wisteria plant from my newly cycled betta tank from work. Geoffery has also taken to eating the vilisnera. Out of about a dozen plants, I only have about two with leaves that extend above the height of the log that sits in front of them. I also tried to introduce some extra water sprite from the betta tank, but he rips that out of the ground and seems to munch on it some as well (or at least tears it up thinking it's something to eat... have not actually caught him eating the water sprite).

Goldfish tend to have different personalities. I have one who does that sometimes. I know she isnt sick since when she gets hungry she comes out and is very active.

The bigger they get I think the more time they spend "meditating in the weeds". LOL

I have one tank by my window with 2 huge ones in there and quite often I stop and look, and they are also resting there on the bottom, staring at me and barely breathing.

but like I said, they will without warning stir to life and start being active.

So if your water is ok, and they look clean and healthy..... He's probably just taking a rest.

You will notice over time as they get bigger, they will rest more often. Little fish are always busy.... like little kids.
lol

Post your water chem results, better safe than sorry

The other thing to check is your water temperature. Goldfish will hibernate at low temp. <Fancies slow down once you hit the low 60's.> you might consider a heater if your house is very cold.

But I agree, check your water parameters first ... just in case.

Thanks for the suggestions.

At the time of the OP, the last PWC was last weekend.
Because I screwed up and rinsed the filter in tap water, my tank did a mini-cycle, but by Tuesday, Ammonia and Nitrite were zero.

I did a 50% PWC yesterday... mainly to lighten the tank so I could move it. Nitrate levels were about 40 before the PWC.

As for temperature, the house stays around 72. The tank itself is around 76-78 from the added heat from a submersible filter and the 15watt florescent light.

Two final notes, the rosie that shares the tank hasn't had any change in behavior.

After the PWC and putting in a new polishing pad, the water is looking extra clear, he's cting a little more normal, but at leat once I saw him meditating again.

BTW, we got him in late November when he was the size of the typical "small" common or comet goldfish (based on his tail, I'd say this one is a common).

One other interesting note. A few days before he started behaving like this, but AFTER the MTS's were added, his (her?) belly looked oddly extended, sort of like a little extra fat. I tried cutting back on the amount that I was feeding them (perhaps 20%). He's looking a little skinnier today. (Is there some chance he ate a whole MTS, one of the smaller ones that might fit in his mouth? In case I didn't say... a few days after adding the MTS's I saw him eat one (tail 1st) but immediately spit it out.

And if it makes a difference, the substraite is play-sand. I'm hating how fine it is, and Geoffery takes in too much sand and gets it everywhere in the tank looking for more food in the sand.

<Fancies slow down once you hit the low 60's.
Agreed, Koi and "standard" goldfish do stay active in colder water than fancy / fat fantails. I'm of the opinion that fancy chubby ones have spent a great majority of their lives in water warmer than 60F, so what is warm to a pond Koi/comet will send a fat fancy to sleep.

or maybe its just their breeding.... I dunno.

Commons are certainly fine down to 60 or mid 50's. At any rate, the temp at 70 would be OK for either types. <And from what I read, it is the breeding rather than previous "experience" that determine temp preference .... so a metallic fantail is fine at 70F, but a fancy bubble eye will need to be at least 75 or 78F.>

The fat belly might indicate a bit of constipation. Although commons are less prone to this, they can get constipated if fed a constant diet of flakes. Now that the water parameter is back to normal, he should be more lively. However, goldies do rest from time to time during the day. <And a 1-2" common is still a baby, so you can't blame it on old age.> you might try to feed some peas (blanched, shelled & chopped) to help with the constipation. <It does no harm and my fish loves it!> A constipated fish is often lethargic as well.

I don't think that eating a MTS is a problem. If the snail is too big to swallow, the fish will spit it out. Anything the fish can swallow can pass through the gut. <I have pond & MTS in my tank & my fancies do eat the odd small one & never seemed to get into trouble.... and they have far more finicky gut than a common>

Food is a mixture of dried bloodworms, flakes, and pellets (the flakes are because the rosie is too small to eat the pellets, and the bloodworms are to add a variety).

It's nice to know that anything they can eat can pass through the gut, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom