Slimy algae question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doodledog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some slimy algae that just blankets my aquarium. I can't seem to get rid of it even if I do water changes and a tank cleaning. I've also used Algae Destryoer Advanced and that's not helping. I think it's a cyanobacteria and needs treatment with eurythromycin, but I'm not sure. What can I do or use to rid myself of this nuisance?:confused:

You can try removing as much as possible and the blacking out the tank for 3 days. Is the the tank planted? How long are your lights on?

I used to have some real plants, but removed them as they weren't doing well. I now onlyhave artificial plants, but maybe the intro of the live ones introduced this algae??? My lights are on about 12 hours/day, off about the same.

That is way to long for a non planted tank, try only 5 - 8 hours a day. For the present I would leave the lights off until the algae stops growing.

Is there any chance this is spirolina? I'm not sure of the spelling of it, but it's a blue-green algae that seems to do well when when nutrients are high.

What color is it? I have the red/black one which is a pain to get rid of. Since cyano can fix nitrogen, even severe nutrient restriction (pwc, etc) may not help.

A short blackout did not work for mine either. It takes 4-6 days of blackout to get rid of the stuff. I would suggest removing as much of the stuff as possible by hand before trying the blackout. Do a large pwc before & after the blackout to get rid of toxins released by dead BGA. You can also remove & bleach ornaments & inanimate objects to kill the BGA then rinse very well & soak in water with dechlor before returning to the tank (after the blackout.)

Back
Top Bottom