Slowly losing plants!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damaged Plants

How do i stop my angels from pulling apart my plants?

Hello Watts...

You could introduce tougher plants. Most of the ferns are tough and distasteful to fish. The Onion plant is very fish resistant as are most of the Amazon swords.

If you want to get a little creative and think "outside the box", then you can emerse Peace lily, Pothos, Philodendron and Aglaonema. All these have tough roots systems that can resist aggressive fish.

Just a thought or two.

B

Hello Watts...

You could introduce tougher plants. Most of the ferns are tough and distasteful to fish. The Onion plant is very fish resistant as are most of the Amazon swords.

If you want to get a little creative and think "outside the box", then you can emerse Peace lily, Pothos, Philodendron and Aglaonema. All these have tough roots systems that can resist aggressive fish.

Just a thought or two.

B

Thanks heaps for your help. Ill look straight into getting my hands on some of those :)

I keep 12 adult angels in a heavily planted tank without issues. The trick I learned years ago with them is that you need to add veggies, such as de-shelled soften peas about 3x aweek. By adding veggie matter to their diet they are less inclined to nibble on plants. Here is a link to show you how many various types of plants I keep with the angels.... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html

Also what plants are they eating on the most? Plants like eloda, anacharis, rotala wachillii, dwarf baby tears, and some mosses are the types they seem to like. Plants with soft small leaves seem most attractive to them. Mine nibble at the tops of my R.Wachillii but that just encouages them to branch so I don't mind when they do it. They also like to nibble at my Fissidens Fontanus moss. You can have a very nice planted tank with angels.

Back
Top Bottom