Small but efficient plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 15 gal tank that needs a pleco. It just has to be small... I was looking at the rubber lip but all other suggestions are much apritiated.

Bristlenose plecos are good for removing algae and do not become large like common plecos. If you're looking for a small pleco that doesn't work too hard clearing algae, then the clown pleco may be right for you.

If you would consider a species that is a catfish, but not a pleco, Otocinclus does a nice job.

I was just looking at these last night. There's a variety that only gets about 3 inches. Can't remember the name to save my life.

Haha if you remember make sure you let me know ;) and thank you for the ideas mifsud

Queen Pleco (L-260) are fantastic small pleco if you can find them and are willing to shell out the cash for them.

Otos do best in groups of 3 or more, and a 15 gallon is just much too small to provide enough food for a group of otos to graze. You're better off with a snail or shrimp if you're just looking for a cleaner. A pleco is never mandatory for a tank, and should be kept because you like the fish, not because you "need" it ;)

Zebra pleco!! But if you have that money you should buy a bigger tank.

Bristlenose plecos are good for removing algae and do not become large like common plecos. If you're looking for a small pleco that doesn't work too hard clearing algae, then the clown pleco may be right for you.

If you would consider a species that is a catfish, but not a pleco, Otocinclus does a nice job.

Clown plecos stay small, but they really don't eat any algae--and they poop lots! I wouldn't recommend them. I second the snails for your tank.

If you are looking for a pleco to solve algae issues, you should think again. It is best to figure out why you have algae in the first place. What exactly do you mean by you "need" a pleco? And what is your current stock?
All plecos have very large bioloads, I refer to them as pooping machines :) if you have sand, in hours they can produce enough waste to cover your nice clean sand in poop. I had one bristlenose (grew 6" long) in my 36g and rehomed it for this reason.
Otos I think are a better choice if you would like an algae eating fish, especially for a 15g tank (they stay less than 2" long), although they should be kept in groups and need established tanks to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom