Small opaque/white bugs on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is about 100 of these in my tank. They are small opaque/white and ovalish. They're not baby snails because they move too fast on the glass. The only new things I've added too my tank are the 2 bolivan rams that died. No plants nothing. I'm pretty sure there not snails also becuase they don't seem to have a shell or brown area on their body. Is this some sort of parasite that came in with the fish? They are about 1-2mm long also.

Sounds a lot like free-living flatworms called Planaria. They are fairly common in tanks where there might be a build-up of uneaten food or other decomposing organic waste (like dead plants or lots of fish poop) in the substrate. Planaria are not parasitic...though they are certainly unsightly if you get a large population of them. Try a thorough gravel vacuuming to bring the population down to an un-noticeable level.

-Joe

Thanks fruitbat, I think I might have a lot of dead plant stuff in the substrate because I had a lot of anachris die due to high temps. I'll gravel vac the tank soon. I have one more question are these things harmful to my fish or plants?

Back
Top Bottom