Small Tanganyikan shellie tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's finally a possibility for me to setup a second tank. I have an old 20 gallon in the garage that used to house turtles and I'd like it to be a tank for my pearlies (meleagris / lamprologus stappersi).

1) Would a tank with a small colony of pearlies be a safe place to put other Tanganyikan fry?

2) Could I put holding cyprichromis females in the tank until they let go of their fry, before returning the moms to their school in the bigger tank?

3) if I stripped cyps / julies / gobies (eretmodus), could I drop the fry in with the shellies or would the little buggers eat up the fry?

I'd think they would eat fry. I don't have experience with those species though, but I know my multies would DEMOLISH any foreign fry lol

I think I'll put in a divider to keep fry separate from shellies.

Any other suggestions on keeping a 15 gallon tank? (I measured - it's not 20, as I thought before).

I have an internal filter rated for 40 gallons with bio balls, carbon, and floss. I think I might take out the carbon and put in a sac of purigen.

For a tank housing such a small amount of small fish, I'm cycling it to 2 ppm of ammonia. Is that enough? Too much?

Scratch that --- I'm going to start a new thread with these cycling small tank questions.

If you have an established tank already than just take some filter media out and put it in the new filter, it will cycle way fast!

Back
Top Bottom