smallest puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scauntay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am looking into a bigger tank for my two goldfish and pleco, roughly 55 gallon. the pleco is getting to be a good size and probably would like a little more room to swim around in. they are in a 29-30 gallon right now. so i would like to know what is the smallest freshwater puffers you can buy? id like to get a few and just want to make sure that i dont over crowd the 29-30 gallon tank.

thanks,
s

Hi S...if I'm understanding your post correctly, you looking to put the puffers in the 29-30 and the other fish (goldfish, pleco) will move to the 55? The reason I ask is that dwarf puffers generally do better in a puffers-only tank, although there are occasional cases where dwarf puffers do well with other fish. It seems though, that otocinclus (otos) get along with puffers pretty well in planted tanks. I believe the same is true with other puffer species also, in that they prefer puffer-only tanks.

Anyway, back to your original question. :)
The smallest freshwater puffer would be the dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)...which grow to about 1-inch. They can usually be stocked 1 for every 3-5 gallons, but this depends on gender ratios and individual personalities. Having multiple DP's usually requires having plants/decor that will break-up lines of sight, so they don't fight over territory issues.
A wonderful site to research these cuties is: http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

If you're looking for freshwater puffers larger than one inch:
http://www.pufferlist.com/freshindex.htm

Good luck!

sorry if i was a little confusing, but yeah the godlfish and pleco will move to the 30 gallon tank and the puffers would be taking the 30 gallon tank. the puffers will be in a puffers only tank, unless i can stick some sort of algea eater in there with them, a small one. thanks noncentric, thats just what i needed to know, also for the link.

Another good choice are the red-eyed puffers if you want strictly freshwater P's. They are generally more tolerant of tankmates than other puffers, but put another type of puffer with them and they go nuts.

Someother ones like green spotted and figure-eights are also good puffers but they need brackish.

Back
Top Bottom