Smartest freshwater pet fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the smartest freshwater fish that can be kept as a pet? I know that fish can't take IQ tests so I just want your opinion. I've heard a variety of answers: oscars, cichlids, discus, bettas, etc. My vote would go to betta fish because all my bettas have different personalities and I can easily tell what they enjoy doing. My female betta finds it amusing to taunt my male betta next to her. My other betta starts biting me and jumping at my finger whenever it's over his tank. I can just see the thoughts going through their minds and they're always so interested in everything outside their tanks. They're also very inquisitive. That's why my vote goes to bettas. Anyone know any other fish that are as smart or smarter?

Oscars and Discus are cichlids... I think snake heads are the smartest, since they've managed to make themselves unavailable for home aquaria in most places.

Goldfish. There's a world record for a trained goldfish somewhere on YouTube. IMO, they don't get enough credit for being the brilliant, awesome fish they are.

My angel is pretty smart. It always knows when it's a water change because it comes up to the tank, and it always knows when it's feeding time because it starts looking like it's eating something :)

Oscar fish tend to be pretty smart. My albino loved to play with ping pong balls lol

Tough question. I think cichlids. Are the smartest. My angels know everything and walk with me. My kribs watch me walking around and face me the majority of the time. And I've seen discus get pet before and ya. Oscars will jump out for food. So cichlids are the smartest group in my eyes but picking just one is way to hard for me. I've seen to many intelligent things come out of my fish lol

Tough question. I think cichlids. Are the smartest. My angels know everything and walk with me. My kribs watch me walking around and face me the majority of the time. And I've seen discus get pet before and ya. Oscars will jump out for food. So cichlids are the smartest group in my eyes but picking just one is way to hard for me. I've seen to many intelligent things come out of my fish lol

i have even seen videos of oscars playing soccer and ping pong

Oscar. My good friends has one in a 75g. He fed it once a day at 8 PM. Every day. Every day at about 7:30 it would bang on the hood until it got fed. Like someone else said, he had a ping pong ball in its tank and it would play with it all the time. It ended up getting HITH and died at age 8.

Oscars are pretty smart. They probably have the largest combination of personality + intelligence, though some fish may be "smarter" than them.

Wow! That's a lot of different answers. I suppose a lot fish are smart in their own ways. Thanks for all the answers everyone

I guess one way to tell would be to dissect each (dead of natural causes) fish, but brain size doesn't always increase with intelligence.

maxwellag said:
I guess one way to tell would be to dissect each (dead of natural causes) fish, but brain size doesn't always increase with intelligence.

Brains are normally proportional to the body size, at least that's what I've heard and read

Back
Top Bottom