Snail dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I I bought some plants from a guy on this forum. He offered to give me ramshorn snails and MTS for free. Sounds great to a newbie like me. Later I come to find out that the ramshorns will take over my tank.

So my problem. I like the MTS, and I want to keep them. But I want to put the rams in a fish bowl or something. How can I separate them? Any thoughts or suggestions?

You will have to pick the ramshorns out by hand. You could try blanching a lettus leaf and sinking it. The ramhorns will all congregate and you can net the group. The MTS will not be that active until the lights go out. Just an FYI, the snails should not breed out of control if you don't over feed the fish. You could also purchase a crayfish and feed the ramhorns to it. Just don't put him with the MTS.

or, u could temporarily separate the MTS, throw in a few assasin snails, take those out when the job is done, and put the MTS back in.

The ramshorns aren't nearly as bad as you are thinking. If it comes down to it you can just sell them when you get a lot as people are usually willing to buy them.

As long as you are careful to not overfeed the snails will stay in check. The only times I have problems is when I give in too the fishes constant begging and over feed. Or the one time I accidently dumped a large portion of food into the tank. If that happens you can place an ad and sell or give some away. Lots of people feed them to their snail eating tank inhabitants. Or get something that eats snails so you can feed them to it. I like that idea. Yay another reason to get another tank.

As long as you are careful to not overfeed the snails will stay in check. The only times I have problems is when I give in too the fishes constant begging and over feed. Or the one time I accidently dumped a large portion of food into the tank. If that happens you can place an ad and sell or give some away. Lots of people feed them to their snail eating tank inhabitants. Or get something that eats snails so you can feed them to it. I like that idea. Yay another reason to get another tank.

Ha ha. I like that idea too. I heard that if the tank has plants that they will go crazy still. I do, so they have lots of plant matter. But I guess you are right. They can't be that hard to sell or give away...

Back
Top Bottom