SNAIL explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsydancer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had trumpet snails in my 55g tank ever since I added the first "snail free" plant. No big deal, I've had babies now and then. Until yesterday, when I got up in the morning and turned the light on, there must have been at least 200 snails. The most unusual thing was that they were all sizes. How did they all manage to hide for so long? Anyone else have this happen?
Namaste,
Gypsy

If your seeing them at a unusal time check your water peramiters they are agood sign somthings changed if they are climbing the glass in the day

If your seeing them at a unusal time check your water peramiters they are agood sign somthings changed if they are climbing the glass in the day
No, they are mostly hidden during the hours the lights are on. The room I have the tank in is pitch black until I turn the lights on. They are just there from the night time hours, then they hide. Only to return when the lights go out at bedtime.
Namaste,
Gypsy

They will hide in the substrate during the day and come out at night. That's normal. To control the population manually remove what you can and cut back feeding. Large populations of 'pest' snails are usually caused by excess food in the tank. Another option is an assassin snail to keep the population under control.

They will hide in the substrate during the day and come out at night. That's normal. To control the population manually remove what you can and cut back feeding. Large populations of 'pest' snails are usually caused by excess food in the tank. Another option is an assassin snail to keep the population under control.
What I've been doing is crushing them and letting them drop to the bottom of the tank, my corys devour them. My peppered Cory comes to the front of the tank as soon as I turn the light on and swims back and forthquickly, she's figured out what comes next, and is ready for them to drop. She's such a character.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom