Snail for Freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keflan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any snails that can go into cold water fish tanks?

Yes, there is a wide variety of freshwater snails that are usually just at your local pet store :) I have 2 in my tank!

What are they called? My local store takes orders so i could probably ask them of they can get me one in. They have a big snail in the shop but its tropical only.

The common mystery snail does quite well in cooler water. Actually warmer water shortens its lifespan considerably.

The common mystery snail does quite well in cooler water. Actually warmer water shortens its lifespan considerably.

Plus they are the most common snail sold at pet shops. You can almost always find them and in different colors. I also keep Malaysian Trumpet snails in my unheated goldfish tanks and they do fine.

Just about any snail will be ok in room temperature water.

Is there a certain snail I can have in my tank? That article mentions a lot of shrimp tanks and not many fish tank. Are snails meant for shrimp tanks or fish tanks too?

They do well in any tank honestly as long as its freshwater . I was just showing you a couple different breeds on that website

What type of snail would be good for a beginner that don't eat plants or harm other snails?

Not sure if it does well in cooler water, but a good "beginner" snail is a nerite. There's zebra, tiger, and olive that I'm aware of, but there may be more. Those with more experience with this kind of thing can help more. I have an olive and a tiger nerite in my tank, but it's tropical. They don't eat plants. The only downside is if you happen to be lucky enough to get a female, they lay eggs everywhere. If it's purely freshwater and not brackish water, the eggs won't hatch, just be lovely little white dot presents for you. Other than that, they're great snails. Someone else will have to confirm that they're fine in cooler water, though, I've never had a cooler water tank. Just tropicals.

Horned, tracked or zebra? I hope I don't get a female as I wouldn't know what to so with the spares.

I don't know what you mean by horned, tracked, or zebra. If your tank is not brackish, the eggs will not hatch. You won't have a million baby snails running around taking over. I know the nerites come in olive, tiger, or zebra, if that's what you were talking about in your last response.

Horned are snails that have horns/spikes on their shell.

Tracked is the olive with the black dots on them - They are the ones who like to escape.

Zebra also escape tanks or try too, they are the ones that has the zebra like shells.

I have a zebra and he never goes near the top. That doesn't mean none will. Just that my snails do not try to escape. The closest anyone has come was my olive, and she just goes slightly above the waterline sometimes.

Nerites do best if kept in a tank that is at least 72F. They can go cooler but may not do quite as well.

Nerites will leave a tank if water conditions are not to their liking. But on the up side they can survive out of water longer than alot of other snails so if one does escape it will usually live to try another day.

Think I will get a tracked or zebra typed snail. Will have to ask the local pet store if they can get any in.

I have a Orange Rabbit Snail very beautiful on the eye and not a nuisance. I used to have a Nerite pair but the female was laying eggs all over the tank (and since it cant hatch in freshwater you have these white specs on everything), even on my poor Rabbit Snail. Eventually donated them to my kids kindergarten.

I hope I get a male one then. I went in and asked if they had any Nertite snails they didn't know what they were so with your help we educated my local pet store. Now they know what they are. Gonna pick one up next week. They have a tracked snail. Going to get one.

Back
Top Bottom