Snail help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi i had a question about two snails that I have...On the recipt that I have from buying them it says one is a black mystery snail and the other is a yellow inca snail. I don't know a whole lot about snails but I believe I have a male and a female because Ive seen the black one riding on the yellow ones back puttin something inside her my guess is they are mating ;) butttt this has been going on for probably two weeks or longer sometimes several times a day for hours at a time buttt I still havent seen any eggs :/ Are these two types able to have babies or is he jus a typical horny male :rolleyes: just doing it to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Ok Ill take some now and post them!

Attachments

• DSC04653.jpg
    DSC04653.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no snail expert but from what I can see they look like mystery/apple snails. I have two gold ones that always seem to be doing the dirty but I'm yet to see eggs as well.

Hmm I was hopin for some babies haha but its no biggie the male seems happy atleast lol not sure the female appreciates him always pursuing her :) Do you happen to know anything about platys? I have three of them. Two females and one male. I have a sunset wagtail platy I believe and not long after I got her she had babies and she is pregnant again (from what I hear they are always pregnant lol) but last time she didn't get super big and had her babies when I was sleeping and sadly most of them got gobbled up and the rest are somewhere in there. I see a few from time to time but they arent growing at all...Is there anything I can do to get them to grow some? They still look about as tiny as they did when she had them just with a tiny bit more color! Sorry its so long

brunettebaby4571 said:
Hmm I was hopin for some babies haha but its no biggie the male seems happy atleast lol not sure the female appreciates him always pursuing her :) Do you happen to know anything about platys? I have three of them. Two females and one male. I have a sunset wagtail platy I believe and not long after I got her she had babies and she is pregnant again (from what I hear they are always pregnant lol) but last time she didn't get super big and had her babies when I was sleeping and sadly most of them got gobbled up and the rest are somewhere in there. I see a few from time to time but they arent growing at all...Is there anything I can do to get them to grow some? They still look about as tiny as they did when she had them just with a tiny bit more color! Sorry its so long

No, sorry in don't. If you start a thread in the breeding section I'm sure someone will come along with an answer for you. :)

They may be prematurely laying their eggs. Meaning they might be laying their eggs it the water. I have seen mine do this many times.

I actually did notice some jelly looking stuff that I havent seen in almost the 2 or so months that I have had them...Could that be it or something else?

Well Im wanting to try and get some dwarf puffers so thats the main reason I want some baby snails I might buy some offline and see if I get any babies...Plus I just love the idea of any baby lol

I also have an Oscar and when I get a new tank hopefully for christmas :) Ill have an empty one open and I just keep on going back to the puffers....So cute haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I saw the puffers online and fell in love with them! :) Are they the type of snails that reproduce by themselves? Before I consider gettin any puffers I wanna make sure I have a decent bit of snails just to be on the safe side and prepared because from what I hear they sure love them :) But Ive gotten all my fish except my betta from petco (I felt terrible for the bettas at wal mart and I caved in and had to "save" him lol) he is doing wonderful now and eating like a horse ;) but Ill try petco and see if they have any of those snails but they arent the most wonderful people in the fish department sadly :/ but thank you for the idea!

The "jelly" looking stuff.. is snail eggs. If you want more of your platy fry to survive go to your local pet store and pick up a baby net and some baby food.. keep them in there and feed the a little bit 3x a day :)

Ok ya I was like oh gosh what is this jelly lookin stuff?!? Why is that happening and no babies are being born? Is there anything I can do about the snails? I mean is it something that Im doing to cause it or is it just the snails? Also Im not worried about them surviving but just that they didnt grow very much at all and I eventually started losing them and now I think they are all gone...But Im gunna get one of those nets and see if it makes any difference! Thank you guys for your help!

Back
Top Bottom