Snail help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squiffy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just came home with a new snail (I'm totally in love with snails now, amazing little creatures) and I introduced him to the tank slowly. I'm not sure if he got stressed out in the transport/tank intro, but he hasn't moved in an hour or so. How long do I wait for him to move before declaring him deceased?

I was skeptical about him being alive when I got him, but the sales guy plucked him up and said, "See, he's alive, he went into his shell a bit." But I'm still worried. Is there a way to coax him out of his shell to verify or is this just a waiting game at this point?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd say its a waiting game. If you're feeling brave you could take him out and smell him. Sounds weird I know but dead snails reek like you wouldn't believe, lol! Sure fire way to tell!

Fish are fun!! ???

Thank you. Still no movement from him. :(

I'd say its a waiting game. If you're feeling brave you could take him out and smell him. Sounds weird I know but dead snails reek like you wouldn't believe, lol! Sure fire way to tell!

Fish are fun!! ???

I took him out and smelled him and he didn't stink at all. But he still won't move and I just noticed he is missing a chunk off his shell opening. I want him to be ok so bad. I'm already attached to the little guy.

Sometimes mine wouldn't come out for a day or two, he may just be really stressed. I'd just leave him alone for a while. I'd say tonight cut off the aquarium lights and check on him again in the morning. If he doesn't smell there's a good chance he's still alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. I've been stressing all night about it.

She's alive!!!

Meet Pokey!

Attachments

• 1407593886636.jpg
    1407593886636.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 73
I think she's just super stressed out. Poor thing has a broken shell. She came off her leaf and landed upside down and wasn't strong enough to turn over. How long does it usually take for a snail to repair their shells?

I think she's just super stressed out. Poor thing has a broken shell. She came off her leaf and landed upside down and wasn't strong enough to turn over. How long does it usually take for a snail to repair their shells?

I'm not sure but I know it takes a while. I've never had one break a shell before.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pokey catching a ride on Speedy's back!

Attachments

• 1407617579794.jpg
    1407617579794.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 61
Awesome, well glad to see they're alive and well!

Fish are fun!! ???

Back
Top Bottom