Snail Id? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me what kind of snail this is & if these are snail eggs?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131109_230245.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131109_230245.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20131109_230254.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131109_230254.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20131109_230317.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131109_230317.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 87
First pick looks like a bladder snail.. they are often found in ponds of course. They move faster than most other snail species, and rarely get much over 3/8 inch long. Second pic looks more like one of the other pond species.

Those gel pads are what they lay their eggs in, to protect them while they develop. They are easy to scrape or squeeze off most surfaces, even many plant leaves.. just toss them into the trash and they'll dry out and die.

It's the same snail. When I got that moss ball he was microscopic so I thought the betta ate him. Then he just appeared this size. Out of all the eggs there is only 3 that made it. I think I killed most of them while cleaning the tank. They don't bother me, for right now anyways.

Which just goes to show you how a picture can show so much and but sometimes not quite enough !

I rarely see the one you have, I mainly see bladder snails, the small ramshorns and a tiny spiral one that looks a bit like ramshorn but only gets to be about a quarter inch wide and keeps it's spiral flat, not upright. I find them all interesting, though in large numbers they can be annoying at times.

With all the eggs I just knee there was going to be hundreds of them. The big one hasn't gotten any bigger. As long as they don't over populate like crazy they can stay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom