Snail in my tank- How the heck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I happened to glance at my 125g cichlid tank today and spotted a snail!
It was very small, long conical shape and looked exactly like the small cerith snails I have in my saltwater tanks.

While I am not against the snail concept I am however baffled by how I got him in the tank. I have never ever had any live plants for him to hitch hike in on, have not added any driftwood or anything like that. I havent added any fish in like a year either......

So how did I get a snail? Any ideas guys? I mean I have plenty in my other tanks but I highly doubt one crawled out of another tank and made it into this one. lol

Thanks for any light you can shed on this mystery.

Just a thought but do you use the same equipment for PWC's?

Maybe some eggs attached to a bucket etc during PWC and got transferred?

Jon

Good thought! BUT I use a python for the freshwater tank and I use a pump for the saltwater tanks since I don't need to vacuum the sand. So no buckets involved.

Good reasoning though, I wouldn't have thought of that. lol

I know right? I am totally confused how it got in. Unless my b/f is messing with me. But I dont think a salt snail would last for long in a fresh system. grrr....

Or.....the answer is blowing in the breeze....tanks in the same room? Probably the same way creatures get moved in the real world, the wind, sticking to clothing, to the fur of another creature or just getting tossed in the breeze. Just a thought.

Sounds like a malaysian trumpet snail (MTS). My guess on how it got in there would be net transfer. :)

Back
Top Bottom