Snail problem or blessing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone,

So I noticed several weeks ago that I am finding these very tiny black and brown snails inside both my canister filter and HoB filter. I have not introduced any new plants or fish in well over a year, and as stated I only started seeing these snails a few weeks ago. They never seem to be larger than a pin head and lay eggs ( at least I believe they are egg sacs) that look like clear drops of glue. I do not see them on my plants, and cant see them on my black substrate if they are there. I do not feel they pose any threat to my equipment given their size and the frequency at which I clean my equipment (i.e. impellors) but I am wondering how I should handle this situation as I have read some types of snails can be beneficial and some not so much when it comes to plants. I know this is an old topic and I apologize but older posts I have read on various forums seem to focus on much larger snails than the ones I am seeing. The solutions for removal always apply to the interior of the tank and not the filters (i.e. blanched lettuce leaf etc.) and as stated I never see them outside they filters so would these methods still work. I have read overfeeding can be an issue that creates this problem so here is my feeding routine in case it needs to be adjusted. I use NLS and they are fed once every other day as much as they can eat in 3 minutes.

Btw the snails have rounded cone shaped shells (no sharp point like MTS) to the best that I can determine. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom