Snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got 10 super small free "hitchhiker" snails from my lfs when I asked really nicely.. i only see two right now but one continually goes to the top and sit half in half out the water... I fear it's not good for the poor thing and I'm wondering 1) why? 2)does anyone else's snail do this 3) why? I'm cunfused

I got 10 super small free "hitchhiker" snails from my lfs when I asked really nicely.. i only see two right now but one continually goes to the top and sit half in half out the water... I fear it's not good for the poor thing and I'm wondering 1) why? 2)does anyone else's snail do this 3) why? I'm cunfused
I have a handful of snails and they sometimes do this. Some are at the top, some at the bottom, most hide until night. As long as they're moving, I think you're good.

The other one... God bless him he is puny but there is this one circle of algae about two inch diameter... He is trying to single handily eat it hahahahahahah little by little it's gonna start he started today hahahahahahah there are like two really thin lines where he went through it rotfl I like snails

Yes if they are half out of the water at the top they are usually having babies. Careful not to get to many! I have a few and they eat all the algae and dead plants so I like em!

kimby32 said:
Yes if they are half out of the water at the top they are usually having babies. Careful not to get to many! I have a few and they eat all the algae and dead plants so I like em!

I don't want an annoyance :/

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! Thu are having babies ALOT WHAT DO I DO?

I've started getting small and snail baby out of tank into small Bucket with water in it

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! Thu are having babies ALOT WHAT DO I DO?

You have several options:
1) Sell them/give them away
2) Kill/squish them and let the fish eat them
3) Pluck them out and toss them
4) Get something that eats snails (loaches, assassin snails, etc.)
5) Let them be, but watch your overfeeding
6) Look for eggs on plants and remove before they hatch (this is hard to do though - eggs are everywhere).

callisto9 said:
6) Look for eggs on plants and remove before they hatch (this is hard to do though - eggs are everywhere).

So any loach? And won't an assassin snail just kill them then do the same thing but be harder to get rid of?

callisto9 said:

So far I've done 2) and 3)

I have2 assassins in my 20 And they are slowly getting rid of my ramshorn problem but I have found more in my 29 so I guess I'll be buying more assassins. They breed slowly so you will not see an over abundance of them

Well it's a 55 gallon long an I would love an excuse to add loaches ;) what kind? I also may talk to my lfs bout getting my like 4 assassin snails

Yep I agree w/Callisto, If you over feed your fish you also help to produce more snails. More food for fish = more waste = more snail food = more snail! Another trick is to turn out the lights, put a piece of (rinsed well) Iceberg lettuce on the bottom of the tank, wait about 30min to an hour then turn the lights on and you'll find the snails on the leaf, and just pull it out.

kimby32 said:
Yep I agree w/Callisto, If you over feed your fish you also help to produce more snails. More food for fish = more waste = more snail food = more snail! Another trick is to turn out the lights, put a piece of (rinsed well) Iceberg lettuce on the bottom of the tank, wait about 30min to an hour then turn the lights on and you'll find the snails on the leaf, and just pull it out.

Will probably try that

Back
Top Bottom