snail with weird habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamchris

Aquarium Advice Regular
My girlfriend has a snail that apparently likes to bury itself under gravel. It will stay there for up to 3 days, and when we dig it out, it only takes it a few minutes before it likes to bury itself again. Sometimes it's almost completely under the gravel, so it's very hard to find. It's also got brown discolorations/spots on it. Don't know if it was always like that, but I've never noticed it before. Is there anything wrong with her snail, or does he just have fun in weird ways?

I've attached a recent pic of it hiding. Sorry about the bad quality; my digital camera is at my house and I had to use my phone.

THANK YOU!

*edit* oops sorry about the double picture

Attachments

• snail_137.jpg
    snail_137.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 165
  • snail_195.jpg
    snail_195.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 171
It looks like a golden ramshorn. It looks like it's out of the shell and attached to the glass. There's probably some vegetable debris in the gravel that it's eating.

She doesn't feed him vegetables at all, and it's a non-planted tank. Also, at the time he wasn't really out of his shell, he was just digging further in...when I first saw how much he stretched I couldn't believe it either! That foot's longer than you think :wink:

Probably lots of good treats int he gravel, old fish food, undigested stuff, algae bits. Mmmmm

mmmmm for the snail. Thats why they say snails are good for substrats. I have MTS and they burrow in the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom