Snails and live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some live plants that came with snails (ramshorn and pond snails I believe) I also added MTS and a similar looking snail I cant identify. I think they are eating my plants. Is there a way to stop this? I am considering taking out all but the trumpet shaped ones. Also any tips on removing them? Its a relatively small population.
Thanks and God bless!

Manual removal is the best bet. You could also weigh down a piece of lettuce or some other veggie in there and then remove it when covered with snails. I've never had an issue with any snails eating my plants. Does it look like little holes or cuts on the leaves?

Manual removal is the best bet. You could also weigh down a piece of lettuce or some other veggie in there and then remove it when covered with snails. I've never had an issue with any snails eating my plants. Does it look like little holes or cuts on the leaves?
It looks like little holes. Kinda like a catepillar makes lol

I would suspect a potassium deficiency before snails. I've never had snails eat plants, and I've had a bunch of em... still do actually.

x2

I've had several species of snails hitchike into my planted tanks, but I haven't had a problem with them eating them. Even if they were nibbling a bit here and there, I don't think it'd be enough to cause problems.

Thanks. So seachem flourish wouldnt work? Im not sure about the specs. I havent got a test kit yet...

Thanks. So seachem flourish wouldnt work? Im not sure about the specs. I havent got a test kit yet...

When I say specs I just mean equipment, tank size, lighting, plants, etc.

You could just have one plant that likes to suck up a ton of nutrients and the others are showing deficiencies. I had a huge Amazon Sword that wreaked havoc on my tank until I finally pulled it.

Regarding dosing, depending on your tank size, I'd suggest dry ferts. If you have a smaller tank flourish will work, though. Its honestly mostly water. For a few bucks you can get a pound of dry ferts that'll last you a while.

oh ok lol I have a 20 tall with a standard flourescent light. Top fin 20 gal filter I think its a marinland heater and a airstone. There are 3 otos, 12 pygmy cories, 4 rcs and the snails. I think I have watersprite and the other 2 Im not sure. I could post pics later.

oh ok lol I have a 20 tall with a standard flourescent light. Top fin 20 gal filter I think its a marinland heater and a airstone. There are 3 otos, 12 pygmy cories, 4 rcs and the snails. I think I have watersprite and the other 2 Im not sure. I could post pics later.

Sounds like the best way to get to the bottom of the issue would be pictures to identify 1. the plants and 2. the problem itself.

ok I got to go to work but I will post pics tonight. Ialso noticed some leaves seem to be completely eaten (or gone). Also its only 2 of the plants that might be the same species.

Ok so here are the pics. I have fake plants in there too. The ones to look at are centered except for the skinny one that looks kinda pine tree ish. It is behind my fake plant

Attachments

• DSCN1515.jpg
    DSCN1515.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1517.jpg
    DSCN1517.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN1518.jpg
    DSCN1518.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN1516.jpg
    DSCN1516.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 59
this is one of the snails I see on my plants alot.

Attachments

• DSCN1520.jpg
    DSCN1520.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom