SNAILS!!!!!! Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok well i found a snail thats 1/8 of an inch and disappeared under the gravel. It had these two eye looking things that popped out of its body. WHAT DO I DO WITH IT. Also what type of snail do u think it is.

Did you add any live plants recently? Sounds like pond snails (dun dun dah! Scary music!) assassin snails, or turn out the lights, and sink a piece of lettuce in there. Leave the lettuce for a few hours, cone back, and you should have munching snails. Then you just pick up, and toss the lettuce.

Did you add any live plants recently? Sounds like pond snails (dun dun dah! Scary music!) assassin snails, or turn out the lights, and sink a piece of lettuce in there. Leave the lettuce for a few hours, cone back, and you should have munching snails. Then you just pick up, and toss the lettuce.

Yes i have an Amazon Sword and i added Moneywort.

Get a couple loaches of some sort, they'll take care of the problem =)

It went in to the substrate? Sounds like MTS to me. I love those little guys. Well, I love all snails except the big apple and/or mystery snails. Was it cone shaped or round?

And loaches would not be a good route to take IMHO

Could definitely be a pond snail that hitched a free ride in on the plants.

Some people don't mind them, but the population has to be kept in control. Not over feeding is a way to help. When you do get pond snails, they can be nearly impossible to get rid of.

For some reason, I find the lettuce method cruel. Doesn't it kill the snails, or what?

gkuzel said:
Get a couple loaches of some sort, they'll take care of the problem =)

I agree with rook.

Never get an animal to take care of a problem. Get the animal if you like it, but figure out how to fix the root of the problem first.

I'm fond of loaches. Wasn't meant to just fix the problem.

gkuzel said:
I'm fond of loaches. Wasn't meant to just fix the problem.

Then that's fine. I just wanted to let the OP know. I've seen too much of getting fish to solve a problem... I didn't mean to offend you if I did.

It went in to the substrate? Sounds like MTS to me. I love those little guys. Well, I love all snails except the big apple and/or mystery snails. Was it cone shaped or round?

And loaches would not be a good route to take IMHO

i couldn't tell i saw it for 7 second's and it was very small.

Could definitely be a pond snail that hitched a free ride in on the plants.

Some people don't mind them, but the population has to be kept in control. Not over feeding is a way to help. When you do get pond snails, they can be nearly impossible to get rid of.

For some reason, I find the lettuce method cruel. Doesn't it kill the snails, or what?

I think it is a Pond Snail and i am using the lettuce to see if i can find it.

snails

Do they look anything like these ? (see pics).
These are cone shaped and showed up about 1 week after adding java moss. I don't mind them for now, no fish and still cycling...
Maybe someone could ID these from the pics and point out whether or not they will become problematic. All they do right now is leave white spots on the glass. (I seem to have 3 in total).

img_1316011_0_7455584049dfd76b455ce8bbd80ceb83.jpg

Closeup for shape.

img_1316011_1_2f47b54562b9a4e916923c0dc63614f6.jpg

Two on a cave.

img_1316011_2_9c50a794389569a2498e7f28600beb5d.jpg

FTS for dimensions - 2 snails on right cave face.

Will lettuce take care of these little hard spirally snails that I have - I understand they don't lay eggs and no male/female types - I have dosed with copper but to no avail yet. HELP!!!

Do they look anything like these ? (see pics).
These are cone shaped and showed up about 1 week after adding java moss. I don't mind them for now, no fish and still cycling...
Maybe someone could ID these from the pics and point out whether or not they will become problematic. All they do right now is leave white spots on the glass. (I seem to have 3 in total).

img_1316189_0_7455584049dfd76b455ce8bbd80ceb83.jpg

Closeup for shape.

img_1316189_1_2f47b54562b9a4e916923c0dc63614f6.jpg

Two on a cave.

img_1316189_2_9c50a794389569a2498e7f28600beb5d.jpg

FTS for dimensions - 2 snails on right cave face.

I don't think they r those.

I found the snail again and put it in a plastic cup 1 hour later i found two more put them in the same cup, then i found 1 more and i couldn't catch him. So i have 3 snails in a plastic cup and more coming. LOL

1. How do i care for them in a plastic cup.
2. How many WC do i do a week?

BTW these r the snails i found, not the actual snails in the cup but the type they r.

4e904545540c309270db05e04be6_grande.jpg

raw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom