Snails Taking Over!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
My boyfriend has a 10 gallon with four priscilla tetras, one tiny zebra daino, one oto, some plants... and now 10 million snails!!! We don't know what happened, but he had three snails originally. Apparently they have been mating like rabbits (they sit there and suction on eachother a lot, so I don't know if that's when they're mating?) And in the past two weeks, when the light is off, we see literally hundreds of baby snails. One on almost every single one gravel piece on the bottom. We thought maybe not all of them were going to survive, but they are all getting bigger. I have never seen this before! I have snails in my own 20 gallon, and once in a while I'll notice a new one, but not a ton at once like this! Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Does he just happen to have very ideal conditions for snails to mate? Will the snails harm the fish in any way? I think the snails are very freaky because now there are so many. The larger original three are also SUPER active and are almost completely out of their shell when they "walk" around the tank and glass. They also float upside down and suction the water surface too. What's going on?? :roll:

Snails are notorious for breeding like crazy. Their population is in direct proportion to their food source (fish waste, leftover foods, organic waste, plants in some cases). Most chemicals that will kill snails will kill fish/and or plants also. I put a piece of zuccini weighted down at night and remove early in the morn before the lights come on. Manual removal is the best way short of snail eating fish which won't do in a 10 gallon tank.

Thanks! I thought maybe this was some sort of weird snails. I will suggest the zuccini thing, but he thinks it would be "fun" to watch and see if they all get bigger - which personally creeps me out. But if we just left the snails (for a while,) will they cause harm to the tank?

Back
Top Bottom