Snowflake Eel Experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother has been wanting to buy me an eel for my tank. I told him I wanted to maintain a peaceful tank and that an eel would kind of defeat the purpose of having a peaceful community. He's not knowledgable by any means when it comes to the SW hobby.
I explained to him that I have Chromis that would end up making a late night snack for an eel. My question to you is, if anyone has or had a snowflake eel, was it pretty aggressive, or was it a more calm species? I know these are known to be pretty mellow among the eel species, but all it takes is an accidental bite during feeding and it's all over.

I know I'm rambling on, but I wanted to get some input from you all that have them. Thanks

Regards,

Mike

Ive had two and never had a problem with it with small fish, mainly the reason is because they are blind and you have to hand feed them so they eat most of the time. the smaller fish are to fast for the eel to react to.. on the other hand it is not invert safe so stay away from shrimp or snails because it will be an expensive meal. and yes they are escape artists

I had a snowflake for many years. They are a peaceful fish under most circumstances. They are not "Blind". Their eyesight is poor but they can see well enough to hunt a fish or hunt a hole to escape through. Here is an information page on them and the eel in the picture is the one I had. He died last year at over 12 years of age. By far, my most favorite fish.

Thanks for you the information Hara. 12 years? That is awesome. They are beautiful, mysterious creatures. I'm going to continue to do my research before I take the plunge. Thanks again

Regards,

Mike

If you have a big enough tank, I'd recommend a zebra moray. They get a little bigger than the snowflakes. I've had both a Zebra and a Snowflake and the Zebra is very peaceful. Mine actually shared a cave with two peppermint shrimp with no problems. Every eel will be different, but if you have the room, I'd recommend looking at the Zebra as they are less likely to go after fish at ALL. In the wild they feed on inverts. It's also possible they'll live with shrimp and snails as well. Mine did pick off all my crabs first day, but everything else stayed safe. Had him for over a year before I sold him and he was a model citizen. Cool looking eel too.

Thanks skinnypete,

I decided to go with the Snowflake Eel. He is so awesome! I picked him up a few days ago, and is feeding from a stick with no problem.

It's interesting you mentioned the Zebra Moray. When I picked up "Frosty" as the kids call him, he was sharing a cave with 2 Zebra eels. He is a very social eel and does not show interest in fish. I tried to give him a piece of raw shrimp, but he shyed away from it, but he loves the silversides! :)

Thanks everyone,

Mike

I'll take one this weekend. He's still a little shy, but he is awesome. Poor thing is so blind..he's tried taking the stick to his den with him a couple of times..lol

Regards,

Mike

I only say because I dont want you to let your guard down but they are not blind. Dont put your hand in there thinking that.

No worries. I have seen the way he takes the silversides off the stick. I would never stick my finger in there. :eek:

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom