So how much of a difference does 4 gallons make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was at Meijers today, and I did the usual sweep through the fish section. Found out my tank is actually 29 gallons! YAY! So now I am wondering if that will make a big difference as to how many or what kind of fish I can have in it? I don't think it will be huge, but maybe I can have a couple more or a little bit bigger of something. Still planning on the Bolivians and Cories.

I think it's funny how Meijer's and Walmart label their Cichlids.... Walmart says African Cichlids, Regular. And Meijers has it African Cichlids, assorted. Wth does that mean? lol. There is all different kinds! :bowl:

A difference of four gallons really depends on the tank. If your 1g actually turns out to be a 5g, that's big. If your 55g turns out to be a 60g, not so much. 29g instead of 25g is good to know, but, imho, it wouldn't make much difference with stocking.

Regular and Assorted means they're too lazy figure out what they've really got.

Dang. I was hoping you would say, "It's monumental! You can add 3 more fish than before!" Lol.

As far as the cichlids go, aren't some of them incompatible with each other? Or is that just where they come from (i.e. african vs. south america)

As far as the cichlids go, aren't some of them incompatible with each other? Or is that just where they come from (i.e. african vs. south america)

This is a whole discussion in itself. It really all depends. In general, you're pretty much correct, but it there is a whole lot more than that involved once you separate them out from there.

I agree with BigJim, 4 gallons isnt going to mean much. If you were going with neons or something, you might get away with 2-3 more, but I'd forget that you even know the difference... thats JMO anyways :)

I dont think 4 gallons in itself is huge but the extra 6 inches in length makes a diffrence.

+1 for not making a huge difference.... as far as stocking.

as far as filtration, it could potentially push you over the threshold of what your current filtration is adequate for..... then again, i would hope you left your self with more then a buffer of 4 gallons of filtration....

As far as cichlids are concerned, you really just need to get their "assorted" identified and then go from there. If their from the same country that's better, same region that's good, same river or lake and that's great. In doing this you'll be able to nail down their water params and food among other things.

Back
Top Bottom