So tell me about Mollies (or whatever these are)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There is a bit of story here. I caught three very small minnows in a freshwater pond. Here is a photo at the time of two of them.

i-8SGPFpB-X2.jpg

After some quarantine, I threw them into a large tank with hungry fish like angels and congos, expecting them to be lunch, but all three survived. One ended up being male, and grew out to be very pretty:

i-zC49s3q-X2.jpg

And a female, who was larger than the male.

i-BBrpB9n-X2.jpg

The third I can't find a photo of at the time, but looked like the male except half the size, and not yellow -- but with the clear sail on the dorsal.

The two males harassed the female relentlessly, but about the time of the first brood being born, the male grew lethargic and died. No obvious cause. The female let loose a brood, and a surprising number survived; the little male continued after her, I thought might grow out, but he stayed small.

The first brood grew and now has some pregnant females as well (one below).

i-HNQC9NL-X2.jpg

Despite the same size photo this 2nd generation is about half the size of the original female, who we had started to compare to a mac truck. But seemingly the same kind of swimming stomach and breeding factory.

Here's the thing -- despite having a lot of Congro tetras who are very aggressive, some rainbows, and an angel -- they are breeding and other than maybe after first born, appear not to be eaten.

I don't know why they are not eaten -- they are very small. These Congos cleared out about 50 ghost shrimp I put in the tank (some pretty large) in no time, grabbing them from the bottom. But these guys swim right out in plain view and nothing bothers them.

And that's a problem. I have Plecos breeding, and about 98% get eaten, so I get a couple more every few months. Eventually I'll have to remove some, but no real issue (it's a big tank).

But these things are incredibly prolific. There are probably 30-40 very tiny ones all down in the bottom (where there are crypts and other plants to hide in, as well as rocks).

Any suggestion how to deal with them? Should I just try to catch and remove them all? That's actually going to be tough - pretty fast, very tiny, deep tank (and they tend to stay at the bottom). Lots of plants and rocks.

Is there any such thing as a trap that might work? Thought about minnow traps but they are a bit big for the tank (I need something small enough the congos and SAE won't go into it).

Any natural predators that might help?

Some kind of birth control? :blink:

Here are some of the babies -- I can get them out by dropping some pellets. Interestingly the Congos come down and will grab the pellets out of their mouths, but leave the fish. These are 1mm pellets by the way, so it will give a sense of scale -- the gravel is medium blasting sand.

i-B933dxB-X2.jpg

Are these fish anyone might want, e.g. if I caught them and took them to a club auction or something? I just have to do something before the tank is overrun.

Wow they're really pretty and do look a lot like mollies. I can't help you any further than maybe catching them and releasing them where you found the first ones but I don't know if that's legal or not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Wow they're really pretty and do look a lot like mollies. I can't help you any further than maybe catching them and releasing them where you found the first ones but I don't know if that's legal or not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Please do not release fish that have been in captivity ! I don't believe it is legal or ethical.

Esp since you haven't been able to ID them yet. I'd check with your local fish and wildlife or look up your native fish guides.

You can accidentally introduce foreign pathogens or pests or release the wrong subspecies in the wrong area.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those are actually mosquito fish.
Where I live they swim all over in the rivers. They reproduce quickly.

Those are actually mosquito fish.
Where I live they swim all over in the rivers. They reproduce quickly.

The one in the 2nd photo from the top?

I showed them today to a LFS owner who is fairly knowledgeable, he immediately said "sailfin molly".

Not arguing, just saying I've had both opinions.

Definitely sailfin molly

All, or just that one? And can they inter-breed, as something sure is breeding.

Perhaps I should ask this instead -- what is the distinguishing feature that can tell mosquito from sailfin molley, as I understand mosquito fish have different types.

Those appear to be Sailfin mollies. Natural green color.
Mosquitofish resemble guppies in size and shape but without the colors.
Mollies are generally larger than mosquitofish.

Definitely sailfin Molly

yes i agree

and wow i cant believe you caught those in a river, and babies are really good hiders and my mollies usually give birth at night, meaning other fish don't catch them.

and what river did you get them in, i know it will be tempting to put them in a river but that is really bad for the environment, i would give them to a friend, sell them at auction, sell at, craigslist or to your lfs

and wow i cant believe you caught those in a river, and babies are really good hiders and my mollies usually give birth at night, meaning other fish don't catch them.

and what river did you get them in, i know it will be tempting to put them in a river but that is really bad for the environment, i would give them to a friend, sell them at auction, sell at, craigslist or to your lfs

I'm in SW Florida, almost everywhere you look is freshwater ponds/streams/pools, and almost all have various tropical fish. And almost all have invasive fish. My first collecting attempt, thinking I had an interesting native fish, I found it was an African Cichlid. :(

I got these at Harns Marsh in Lehigh Acres. I was actually harvesting plants, not fish, and these came up with some dipping and I did not notice them caught up in the plants I put in the bucket.

Someone who really knows what they are looking for can have great luck. That one small area has a few hundred acres where pretty much anywhere you dip a net you will pull up something.

Someone like me who doesn't know is getting more and more inclined to stick with fish stores. :hide:

That's amazing, more pictures please?

Sent from my SM-S765C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's amazing, more pictures please?

Sorry, I've started to dispose of these. I managed to catch all the large ones (too 3 days and a couple hours time -- they are FAST), there are some tiny fry in the low vegetation which I could not yet catch.

Their birth rate, and failure of anything in that tank to eat them, is just not sustainable. If i let it continue I'd be overrun. I'm going to need a molly free tank.

PS. I did some careful looking at these and I'm convinced what I have is a mix between a sailfin molley and a mosquito fish, or more precisely the initial ones had a female of each and a male sailfin. When I look carefully at their progeny, some are distinctly mosquito fish, with the sharp turn near the anus and some with the explicit spot there, and some are more sleek, lack that distinct curve and spot, and have the clear sailfin. Some local LFS guys I talked to say that these can and do cross breed in the wild also, so it makes sense I guess. I have not confirmed by anything scientific, but that's what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom