Soaking Pellets in PraziPro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, it appears that my tank has a parasite problem. About a week and a half ago, one of my Cardinal Tetras was breathing heavily, lost some color, bloated, and died about three days later. Yesterday, my female GBR was breathing heavily and I wasn't sure if that was due to disease or if she was getting ready to spawn. She's doing the same thing today, isn't responding to me like she typically does (much more reclusive), and only took a little nibble of a flake during feeding time (eschewing the bloodworms, surprisingly). So I went to the LFS and picked up a bottle of PraziPro, hoping that (1) my diagnosis is correct and (2) it's not too late.

The guy I spoke with at the LFS said that internal parasites are best treated by soaking food, such as sinking pellets, with medication. He recommended doing the same in my case. Has anybody else heard of this? Is it safe to do this with PraziPro? I dosed the entire tank this afternoon, as the infection is undoubtedly tank-wide, but should I consider soaking some of my NLS sinking pellets in PraziPro in a couple of days? (Assuming that my ram is still alive.)

That is what I am currently doing with my puffers. I am soaking their shrimp in metronidazole. The only problem that I have encountered is that it must not taste very good. They only take a couple of bites before they ignore it and come to the glass to beg for something else.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, like humans, fish don't like icky-tasting medicine. :lol:

Thanks for the info. I may be able to avoid this problem, as my ram appears to be doing much better today. She's much more active, greets me when I come to the tank (as usual), and snatched some flakes out of my fingers during feeding time (as usual). Her mouth still appears to be moving a little more than usual, but its much less pronounced and her gils are no longer pumping. Yay!

Yes, like humans, fish don't like icky-tasting medicine. :lol:

Thanks for the info. I may be able to avoid this problem, as my ram appears to be doing much better today. She's much more active, greets me when I come to the tank (as usual), and snatched some flakes out of my fingers during feeding time (as usual). Her mouth still appears to be moving a little more than usual, but its much less pronounced and her gils are no longer pumping. Yay!

Great! I'm medicating mine as a precaution, since they are wild-caught.

Medicated Food

I bought this as a precautionary measure a while ago. My fish love it honestly. Not sure if it could help your issues.

You also get A LOT for your money. I bought the smallest amount and STILL gave a bunch away.

Medicated Food

I bought this as a precautionary measure a while ago. My fish love it honestly. Not sure if it could help your issues.

You also get A LOT for your money. I bought the smallest amount and STILL gave a bunch away.

Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom