Soap contamination question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know we're all pulling for you Marconis!

I think the baking soda suggestion is going to be your best bet. I've also found out that Lemon Juice can also help to break it down, but I don't know if you'd want that residue in there either.

Marconis,

Pardon me if I don't have all the details right, but were there fish in the tank? Can you house them somewhere else for the time being?

My suggestion would be to add in any of the effected items very slowly if you can. At least that way you might figure out what's still got soap residue on it. It could be possible that one thing is causing the whole issue. I've not dealt with this problem before, but my thoughts would be on any plastic items. I would think any soap that's not being taken care of is hiding in the scratches. Glass scratches way less than plastic.

If I were battling this problem, I'd start with the tank alone (or with the filter with no filter media if the tank needs water agitation for the foaming to start), then glass parts, then gravel, then plastic bits. Just my 2¢.

Oh, and a thorough cleaning under the rim like the poster above suggested.

~Mo

Hey, nope there were no fish, thank god. Im doing exactly as you say actually, the second bucket of gravel is boiling at the moment. I cleaned the entire tank out with baking soda for literally an hour and a half and did deep and hard scrubbing.

---If I see soap again, I am ending this immediately. I am going to buy everything new, tank and all, just to start fresh. I know it seems crazy, but I just can't go through with it anymore if it happens again.

I wouldn't think you need to replace your tank, THAT you could definitely rinse with the garden hose. As a matter of fact, that is what I would use to clean most of the stuff: do small amounts of gravel at a time in a clean bucket, and rinse it till you can't smell or see soap anymore... The smaller the batch of gravel, the easier it will be to get un-soaped. Boiling it will help to break it off, but if you aren't giving it a strong fresh rinse immediately after that, it's pointless to boil.

I would say you can clean most of your stuff safely. Can you put the hard parts into a dishwasher and run it soap free for a cycle?

The tank is filled with water at 83* and is circulating nicely for almost 24 hours. No sign of soap :) I am rinsing the gravel yet again tonight, and yes after I boiled it I did rinse it down with a hose two times, but am doing it again tonight. I am going to be testing small amounts of gravel at a time. One way I've been testing the water/gravel is by putting it in a plastic container and fill the one with gravel in it with water. I then shake it a few times. If there is no foam or bubbles that take long to go away, then I know it's all good.

My plants have been in my tank (83* F) for about 18 hours. No sign of soap. So, the heater, thermometer, filter (minus bio-wheel) and plants have all tested negative for soap. I am going to keep the plants in for a few more hours, and then I am going to take everything out and test my bio-wheel. After that, if it goes well which I am pretty sure it will, I am ready to go :). I don't have to worry about gravel because I have decided to use sand instead. Also, just in case soap spurts up some time or another, sand is much cheaper than gravel.

I am so happy to finally end this madness (ALMOST THERE!)

The rock I do not need to worry about either because Petsmart is allowing me to exchange it for a new one. They are exxxxxtrrrreeeemely nice over there. I won't put that in until I am positive everything is perfect.

Great news!

There are not likely to be many others out there that have worked so hard to start up a tank.

Now the obvious question... How are you going to cycle the tank?

Congrats on your success! In the end, when your tank is all set up and fully stocked with all of your hand-chosen inhabitants, You'll look on all this, and realize, that it was all worth it.

This may sound completely ridiculous...but I think there is still soap in my tank :lol: . I did my own little experiment again with the tupperware , shook, and it bubbled/foamed, I guess. There is no visible soap on the surface of my water, but now I am concerned and...lol, possibly ready to go insane :)

If so, I am almost so ashamed to the point where I can't even post anymore.

I would agree with Sicklid - it is probably not anything to worry about. In the interest of sanity, you may want to go with a "quiet cycle." Throw in one small, hardy fish and see what happens. Chances are, it will be ok. With only 1 fish (read: extremely small bio-load) you will not see much or any ammonia spike at all. Then after a few weeks add another fish or two. This seems like a good, easy, simple, and most importantly - pain-free way to test your tank and cycle it too.

Don't give up.

Just tough it out.

Remember you have a dead rotting shrimp in the tank. There is all kinds of activity going on in there. There is bacteria feeding on the rotting flesh and all kinds of proteins being broken down. Turn the lights off and come back to it next week.

Isn't that wrong to add a fish :-/. It seems though that at this point I need to see if my tank can even hold fish or if I am wasting my time even cycling. What would be an example of this kind of fish?

I don't think he/she realized you were doing a fishless cycle. You don't want to add any fish. The shrimp is your ammonia source, you're on track.

If you trully believe there's soap in it, and Petsmart said they'd exchange it all, what have you got more to lose? tear it down, trade it in, and consider it an experience you'll never forget, then move forward on a path to success.

Actually, you know, if it were me, even if I was still unsure there was soap in it, if they're willing to do it, I'd do it. That removes all doubt completely. I'd exchange everything they'd let me, and throw away anything they didnt and start completely fresh.

I'm actually surprised about the "happy to accept returns for merchandise purchased from any retailer" part. That's not common, and I'd have to take them up on it.

I still think it's a tricky "test" to use a plastic tupperware container to test for soap... it's possible it had soap residue from the last time it was washed? Or even if it's bought new from the store. Is there any way you can run a similar test using glass containers?

I got your PM, and I still believe this is a current topic and one worth continuing for the benefit of everyone.

I'm also impressed with Petsmart's policies about returns.

Can you confirm that your filter has activated carbon in it? That usually catches contaminates which are flowing through the water. (But won't remove something that's adhered to a surface.)

I actually think in a lot of tanks there's something that ends up in there from something, probably our own hands. So there could always be a minor amount of soap or something else that gets in the tank, but hopefully the filters will assist with that. At this point, I would proceed forward and wait for something disastrously evident before you pull the tank down again.

I'd continue with the cycling, unless you see foam in the tank itself, etc. When the cycle is complete, I would do many water changes. As recommended above, work on the dillution part of it. Maybe even add aquarium salt to it, because I don't think it will hurt the bacteria colonies, and gravel vac with the salt, get anything off that might be stuck to something so the carbon can grab it. Do lots of major water changes, flush it all out, (which you'll have to do to reduce a large number of NitrAtes anyway.) After that, I'm betting you'll be in fine shape. It might be a good idea to start out with just a few fish, and see how they do. I'm thinking it will be fine, if your plants are ok, and you haven't seen signs of contamination in the tank. To be honest, you used such a small amount anyway, with the amount of boiling and flushing and rinsing and replacing of parts, you are probably on your way.

One question I've asked though that you haven't answered yet, was whether you tried anything other than the hot water? Did you use the suggested baking soda, salt, or bleach? (which was recommended to me, but I was too timid to try. I've heard it just breaks down after a period of time.)

Back
Top Bottom