soft water put through ro/di? will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elzool

Aquarium Advice Regular
If my house is plumbed for soft water, can I expect to connect an ro/di unit somewhere and have it put out safe, useable water?

Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you will actually have more useable water if it is softened first before being put through the RO/DI filter. In other words, instead of wasting 4-5 gallons for every gallong made, you will only be wasting 3-4 gallons for every gallon made. It should be more efficient.

Glad to hear it.

Even if the difference isn't that much, it's just nice to hear I won't have to have a new line run just for this.

I just found a hose bib I installed that may be outside the softner loop that isn't in a great place for getting water from on a regular basis, but isn't as bad as I first thought.

Excellent!

I'll hit home depot tomorrow am and pick the plumbing supplies necessary.
Should be fairly easy as I already had a pvc pipe capped off there....

Now I just have to buy the ro/di unit and figure out how much I want to store.

I also have to hope the plastic doesn't rot in the heat.

I love Phoenix in summer.

thanks!

Do you know how a water softener works?? It softens the water by replacing the calcium and magnesium ions with sodium. The sodium doesn't come out of solution and cause problems like the Mg and Ca.
The increased sodium levels in softened water may play the devil with your membranes in the RO unit. Either way, the RO unit before or after the softener, you membrane will not last as long. R

Back
Top Bottom