Solo jewel cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aa79606

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone...

I have a lone male jewel cichlid and I don't know what to do with him. I had kept some juvies in my community tank while they were growing, and I thought I got them all out, but this one male escaped my notice for a while.

Now he's a full grown male and he just doesn't seem happy in my 55g community tank. He's in there with 9 lemon tetra, 4 botia, 2 BN plecos, a few random guppies, and a pangasius catfish. The pangasius is about to go to a new larger home on Monday, and I have 6 bolivian rams waiting to take his place.

Has anyone else kept just one jewel in a community tank with success? I don't want to take him to a LFS, and I don't know anyone locally I can give him to. If I put him back with his parents in their 29g, it will be WW3. I was thinking about possibly giving him his own tank... but I'm not sure he would be "happy" being completely alone.

What would be the minimum tank size needed for a single adult male jewel? And would it even be advisable to keep one by himself?

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Back
Top Bottom