Some BGK questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
We picked up a BGK a few days ago, about 4 inches or so long. We got him acclimated, and he seems to be doing fine. My main question, should he be hiding all the time? Mine hides inside one of my bubble makers, it's a dragon, and he has made himself a home inside it since it had been turned off (which it still is...). Also, to those who hand feed theirs, how long did it take you to get him to eat from your hand? and lastly, would he like some brine shrimp, or would he prefer something else?

Thank you in advance,

Bear

papa_bear_21 said:
My main question, should he be hiding all the time?

Keep in mind, BGK's are nocturnal. It will hide a lot during the day, especially since you just got it. Mine steadily realized that there's a lot more food available during the day time, and now will come out more. I don't see him every day, sometimes, not every 3-4 days. He has a couple places in some java ferns that he likes to rest, and stays there pretty much all day - unless he smells dinner. At night though, he's all over the place.

papa_bear_21 said:
Also, to those who hand feed theirs, how long did it take you to get him to eat from your hand?

About 2 wks. I started with freeze-dried bloodworms, held with my planting tongs. held it for him until I got tired. eventually he learned that I was helping him. Then I switched to hand-feeding.

papa_bear_21 said:
and lastly, would he like some brine shrimp, or would he prefer something else?

brine, bloodworms, krill, works. Mine even eats flakes on occasion.

Here is a profile and some comments about BGK from other owners:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile66.html

I don't have one but I do remember reading that they need a hiding place. I have seen BGK caves that you can buy. They are clear acrylic tubes so that you can see them when they hide in there. Some people say it's better to make a rock cave for them because the acrylic ones don't give them enough protection from the light. On the site I linked, some of their favorite foods are shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworms.

I thank both of you for the replies, and the help. It will help immensely in the care for my bgk, and give me the ability to provide for the best possible level of care, as I give all of my fish. I would love to get him out of the dragon, so as to turn the bubbles back on, but I will allow him the time to grow accustom to his new home and hope that he will venture out. I do have one of the BGK tubes, but have it covered with a piece of plant potter that came from the potter cave, to provide some shelter from the light. I will try to alter my feeding, and add in some shrimp pellets, as well as look into a shrimpery. Thank you again for the help and advice,

Bear

You're welcome :) I feed freeze-dried bloodworms instead of frozen. It's just easier for me and my fish love them. Try them too, like evercl92 suggested. You'll come to know what your fish like in time (he will train you, lol!)

We would love to see some pics! :)

evercl92 and Deb covered it already, but I just wanted to throw in my experience as well.

I started trying to hand feed from day one. It took several days for him to realize I was not a threat. He WILL NOT eat brine shrimp. His favorite foods are: regular old worms that come out onto the driveway during a rain fall, frozen blood worms, freeze dried blood worms, live blood worms, super soft pellets, and beef heart. He also really likes ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp. I thought he was too small to want my cherries, but I no longer have any.

BGK.JPG

Back
Top Bottom