Some IDs needed and other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pjones0221

Aquarium Advice Activist
IDs:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421868199.530715.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421868208.777450.jpg

How can you tell the difference between polps and zoas?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421868240.497600.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421868257.864440.jpg

And this weird coloration that just popped up. Any ideas what would cause it?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421868291.701494.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The top appears to be nearly dead acropora....possibly completely dead. The first picture for sure. The second looks like it may still have some flesh on it.

Polyps is a general term. Everything has polyps. The acropora in the first picture has/had a polyp at the end of each of those ridges, all the way up and down it's skeleton.
Each zoanthid "flower" is a polyp, and they make up a larger mass which is the colony.

For the acros, they both have coloration still. Does that change the dead call or no?

And are there two different types of zoas?

Any idea about the algae growth or is it normal?

No..if they have color, they live. It just look pure white here..must be the blue light.

Zoas and palythoa? Are these the things you wish to know the difference between?
The algae is normal, and ordinarily I would just say it's coralline, but if it came very quickly, it may be something else. Can you wipe it off easily with your finger?

The first acro has a green tint. It's faint even in person but it's there. And the second is all pink except the tips which are white.

I thought I remember reading something about zoas having two forms. A tall stem vs short stem? And eventually the tall ones would choke out the short. Idk maybe I'm hallucinating.

I haven't tried to scratch it off. It may look different to me because it's under a crappy light but idk I'll try scratching at it after work.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's incorrect as far as I have seen. I've seen larger palythoa overgrow the smaller zoas, but the only time I see zoas stand tall is when they aren't getting enough light. They seem to stretch towards the light.

Okay great then I don't need to separate any of them! Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom