Some kind of oil floating on top off water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caroline79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I am still cycling my tank I am testing with new test kit every day, so I have my filter lower in the tank so I can add and remove water. I can see some kind of oil floating on the top now I have been using a bottle to remove the stuff any ideas what's causing this? Can't get a photo of it. Nrate0
Nrite0
PH 7.4-7.8
Amm 0.50-1.0
I think! it's a new testkit still getting used to it .

It's probably from your hands when you stick them into the tank. Carbon will get rid of it though.

I have the same thing. I'm running carbon and always wash my hands. But I've noticed when I feed frozen brine and mysis it looks oily coming out the turkey baster I use. Could that be it?

HairlessPotter said:
I have the same thing. I'm running carbon and always wash my hands. But I've noticed when I feed frozen brine and mysis it looks oily coming out the turkey baster I use. Could that be it?

Really? Maybe when you aren't running enough. Some fatty foods also contain oils so it's probably from that. I dont get oil though and I feed the same thing. But don't worry as the oil won't hurt the fish. Water stays on the bottom and oil goes up.

I had the same thing happen in my tank for a few weeks, I lowered the water level to allow more surface agitation, when the water was splashing from my filter it gradually disappeared.

Ibrahim said:
It's probably from your hands when you stick them into the tank. Carbon will get rid of it though.

Ok thanks but I have not had my hands in the tank only a plastic bottle to remove and add water for my water changes

akagochi said:
What type of filter are you using, and how low is it?

Hi it's a interpet PF2 and it is on high but about 2 inches under the water , so I can add and remove water without moving the filter up and down in the tank .

Caroline79 said:
Hi I am still cycling my tank I am testing with new test kit every day, so I have my filter lower in the tank so I can add and remove water. I can see some kind of oil floating on the top now I have been using a bottle to remove the stuff any ideas what's causing this? Can't get a photo of it. Nrate0
Nrite0
PH 7.4-7.8
Amm 0.50-1.0
I think! it's a new testkit still getting used to it .

image-2747954079.jpg

Here's a photo

Caroline79 said:
Ok thanks but I have not had my hands in the tank only a plastic bottle to remove and add water for my water changes

Maybe something was on a decoration when added to the tank?

Niki said:
I had the same thing happen in my tank for a few weeks, I lowered the water level to allow more surface agitation, when the water was splashing from my filter it gradually disappeared.

The oil probably splashed out of the tank lol but I guess that's a solution too.

Ibrahim said:
Maybe something was on a decoration when added to the tank?

How do I get rid of it ? I am taking the water from the top and it looks like some of the oil is getting removed to.

I lay paper towels on it and soak up the top layer, works good. But it always comes back. Thats why I was thinking its from food or something

HairlessPotter said:
I lay paper towels on it and soak up the top layer, works good. But it always comes back. Thats why I was thinking its from food or something

Hi thanks I will try that . You said it comes back ! Aah! Its not the food in my tank as I only have 2 ottos in there now and they don't eat the flakes or pellets so I don't give them any.

rebelyeller89 said:
It almost looks like a stagnant pond, could it be because your filter isn't agitating the surface?

Like I said at the start the fillter is lower just now because off the water changes so yeah there's no movement at the surface but there should not be any oil or "stagnant pond" if I move up the filter you can't see it but it's still there.

It just looks like bio-film, or at leas I think that is what it is called. If you have little or no surface agitation, you will see this oily film. If you increased surface agitation, you will not have it. On my tanks with bettas, I don't have much surface movement and I get this film. However, if I have plenty of agitation, it does not appear. You could also drag a paper towel across the top of your tank to temporarily remove it.

Posted at the same time :) Looking better!

adadkins1 said:
It just looks like bio-film, or at leas I think that is what it is called. If you have little or no surface agitation, you will see this oily film. If you increased surface agitation, you will not have it. On my tanks with bettas, I don't have much surface movement and I get this film. However, if I have plenty of agitation, it does not appear. You could also drag a paper towel across the top of your tank to temporarily remove it.

Posted at the same time :) Looking better!

Thanks I've took more water out for wc so filter is at the surface now I'll just wait and see if it goes for good!

Back
Top Bottom