Some problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off i have a HUGE hair algea problem that i cant seem to get rid of and its very VERY ugly lol.
Second i switched out my gravel and its about 1-2 mm in size and every time i try and clean it i suck it up.....tips please?
Finally i have cloudy water that goes away but everytime i even touch the water it starts to clouds up? (being sarcastic its more like when i do water changes) It lasts about 2 days.
PLEASE help lol!!

I am assuming you are using a siphon gravel vac. Keep the vac straight up as you move it through the top level of gravel. When you get about 2 inches of gravel in the tube, tilt the tube at about a 45 . This should allow the gravel to slide back out. You can also try raising your catch container near the height of the tank. This slows the water flow, creating less suction. I ended up with 3 vacs with different diameter hoses so I can vac my smaller tanks without removing to much water.

I would suggest increasing both the number and volume of your partial water changes. How often do you siphon your tank and what percentage of your tank's water are you removing? Also, how often do you feed your fish? Are you sure that you aren't overfeeding them? What kind of filtration are you using? If you are using a power filter how often do you change the filter cartridges?

I do a PWC every weekend of about 10-15% of the water. I feed the fish every other day and they seem to eat it all i rarely see any sink to the gravel.
I use a pengiun bio-wheel 120 and i swish the cartridge in old tank water every week end.

Back
Top Bottom