Some Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tested my tank today and Ph 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite .25, Nitrate 10, and salt 1.023. Tank Temp is 80.5 to 79.5. I am in the prosess of setting up a 55 gal reef. Does all that sound good? Ok I have been running it now a 8 days. I do have 3 fish and 1 crab I know allot of people don't like to do it that way. I do have 18 pounds of LR. I have a Skilter 400 Skimmer I know that is bad. It came in the set if I mod it will it be better? How many day could I give it air? I was told it will take the good stuff out of the tank to. Is that true? I have the Bio Wheel still in my tank I do see some people say it is a Nitrate Fatory. When should I take it out? What would be the perfect test results in Nitrate for a Reef? Are Calium Blocks any good or should I go with the bottles? When should I add that? Sorry For so Many Question

nitrites need to be a "0" before any fish are added. Nitrates need to be less than 1 ppm for a reef. For a fish only tank they can be up to 50 or so ppm. I have no experience with calcium blocks. I use turbo CA

Ok I have some of the algea on the Live rock dieing and I am wondering what shold I use to get it off it is? My tank has had fish and live rock in it for 8 days.

You messed up by putting fish in your tank.You should have scrubbed die off on rock before you put it in the tank. You dont have near enough LR in tank. I would suggest that you do PWC to take care of any calcium and nitrite problem. You dont need any calcium supplement because you dont have a large coral population. Water changes alone will work for you.(Repeat) You messed up by putting fish in your tank to cycle. Good thing that`s not you in the tank.

Die off on the rock is normal and would have normally helped to cycle the tank. I would siphon some water into a bucket when doing a wc and scrub the rock in the bucket of water and put it back in the main. As melosu said you jumped the gun big time adding fish already. One to two WC a day will be the only thing that may save the fish unless you can return them to the store. I would return the fish and look into purchasing another 50 lbs of LR then let the tank finish it cycle before adding any livestock. Then add only one at a time to allow the tank to adjust to the bioload. Good luck

I know alot of people hate that I got the fish but I have been watching them to see if there color change or eye look funny. But they are doing fine so far. I am going to get more rock tommorow. The Pet store I go to told me not to run the skimmer into 2 months after the tank was running with fish. I think that is wrong but not sure. Also the live Rock I have has like little sticks on it very little all over it. Is that good? I have several Aiptasiidae anemone in there to there was one at first now there 9. Keeps breading I know there bad. How do I get rid of them without a Peppermint shirmp?

Never had them but I`ve heard some say something about Joe`s juice will get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom